Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Pacifica (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pacifica-15/)
-   -   Traction control/ESP Switch (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pacifica-15/traction-control-esp-switch-30400/)

HemiMoparGuy1981 02-03-2019 09:41 AM

Traction control/ESP Switch

I was wondering what the heck the point of this switch is. I was stuck in a snow bank and wanted to power myself through it. The traction control would kick on and slow me down and not let me power/blast through the bank. I then turned the switch "off" and it let me spin/power through more, through snow in reverse, then get some forward momentum, hit the bank spinning/slinging, and could feel it almost ready to blast through and then traction control activates, even with the switch off and governs engine power and limits wheel speed and let me just drop in the bank. Granted it has been a while since I haven't had 4wd or AWD vehicles, but I had a couple 1st gen Intrepids with traction control that could ACTUALLY be turned off and I could get through just about anything that my trucks and Jeeps got through as long as I wasn't plowing with the front bumper, just took some effort as described above...This is ridiculous, why am I not allowed to have CONTROL of my vehicle. There are some times where using power and physics can get you out of a dangerous situation vs the computer deciding to limit your power/speed.

djetelina 02-03-2019 10:35 PM

Have a 2005 Pacifica. Got into only a seriously muddy road once. Using the installed electronic traction control may have helped a tad, but for the most part the rapid locking/unlocking of the spinning front tires was unnerving, seeming like the locking was out of phase with was was needed, actually hindering the vehicle from moving. Much prefer a GM G-80 approach, Ford E-Locker or torsen locker.

HemiMoparGuy1981 02-03-2019 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by djetelina (Post 109356)
Have a 2005 Pacifica. Got into only a seriously muddy road once. Using the installed electronic traction control may have helped a tad, but for the most part the rapid locking/unlocking of the spinning front tires was unnerving, seeming like the locking was out of phase with was was needed, actually hindering the vehicle from moving. Much prefer a GM G-80 approach, Ford E-Locker or torsen locker.

I've had even worse issues with GM vehicles I've driven. Test drove my cousins Rainier cuz she thought awd wasn't working. I took it around a 90 degree curve on gravel road power sliding it to see if awd would pull me through. It didn't, so I started counteracting the work through the slide like a rear wheel drive...still pointing at the ditch but enjoying the ride as it is about to pull back end back behind itself, THEN awd kicks in and pulls me right straight into the ditch. Either kick i instantly, or not at all, that delay totally screwed me, and that vehicle has no switch to even pretend you can disengage it...so if you spin, just plan on having ZERO control of that vehicle because the computer will do as it pleases.

Another issue was parts delivery with a Colorado. Trying to pull out of parking lot on 4 lane road...there is ALWAYS traffic, so no matter what, you're pulling out in front of someone. Have to gun it to power tbrough snow bank and get into the road and keep it hammered to accelerate hard enough to stay ahead of approaching traffic...this thing would get me through the bank and still mostly paralleled across all the lanes as I initiate the left turn out of lot THEN kicks in the major governing traction control...perfect, I'm on dry pavement, just had to get through the snow bank from plows...the delay has me across 3 lanes and stuck, unable to accelerate AT ALL because it it limiting wheel speed thinking it needs to gain traction.

I HATE these newer age traction controls. They leave me helpless and not in control of the vehcile. I am truely scared about these auto driving cars and even "collision avoidance" cars...I am an electronics engineer, I am proud of the fact that technology has progressed to the point of the collision avoidance system. But the problem still enlies...the sensors can't see what is happening 100 ft ahead. It may avoid hitting a smart car, but put you in path of a semi truck.

BiliTheAxe 02-04-2019 05:26 PM

I shut my traction control off permanently, by disabling the ABS system.
I despise ABS anyway, and have never needed the traction control.

HemiMoparGuy1981 02-04-2019 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by BiliTheAxe (Post 109363)
I shut my traction control off permanently, by disabling the ABS system.
I despise ABS anyway, and have never needed the traction control.

I loved traction control on ice, until I got AWD and 4WD vehicles. Sure, you CAN get going without it, but it was helpful. I also like ABS, when it works...and I have never had an issue with ABS on any Mopar I or any family member has ever had. I just wish there was a way to override the computer. The computer is not as smart as it thinks it is, at least in situations like this, and I need to be able to have full control of my vehicle without interference from an effing computer in teh even of an emergency, and manufacturers should respect this. I understand many drivers these days are incapable and likely need the assistance at all times, but I have been in more near accidents with these "safety features" than with older vehicles without them.