Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler PT Cruiser (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pt-cruiser-13/)
-   -   05 Cruiser won't start/won't crank (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pt-cruiser-13/05-cruiser-wont-start-wont-crank-12290/)

2005Cruiser 09-02-2010 02:40 PM

05 Cruiser won't start/won't crank

Hello, Thanks in advance for your help.

2005 PT Cruiser 2.4L non-turbo 5 speed standard. I drove it to work, it ran fine. I got in it to go to lunch and it won't crank. I hear the fuel pump presure up and the lights are good, but it will not tun over. I can jump from battery + to the starter solenoid, it will crank, but will not start. Turned the key to the run position jumped from battery + to solenoid, it will crank, but will not start. I replaced the ignition switch, no change.
1) How do I pull the codes?
2) Will a defective cam or crank sensor cause an engine not to crank?

TNtech 09-02-2010 10:31 PM

No, cam and crank sensor will not cause a "no crank" condition. Not on their own anyway. MAYBE if one of them shorted and took down the PCI Bus it's possible, however not typical. The IPM could have a problem. It powers up MANY things. Check ALL of your fuses.
Nowadays when you flip a switch or press a button, it just sends a request signal to a module telling it to do something. Ignition switch just shows STATE of position and doesn't actually send current anywhere.

rick40 09-06-2010 12:34 AM

I would ask you to consult a good mechanic what the problem.he'll be able to tell you what's wrong and solve it.

2005Cruiser 09-07-2010 12:09 PM

Resolution and Thanks

I would like to say thanks to all how have taken the time to respond with suggestions and ideas. I would like to post the resolution in hope that it might help someone else. Resolution: I found the yellow ignition wire from the ignition switch to the positive trigger side of the ignition relay in the fuse box under the hood had been cut. A relay had been installed in series in the yellow wire. Obviously being used as a starter interupt. The relay was controlled by an GPS locater that had been mounted under the dash. The locater was malfunctioning and causing the intermittant starting problem.

TNtech 09-08-2010 12:22 PM

Don't you love those wiring hack jobs :rolleyes:

dcotter0579 09-10-2010 07:46 PM

Sometimes those things are put in by the finance company to disable the car remotely if the payments get behind.

onemat 09-16-2010 10:13 AM

How many miles on the car? It sounds like the timing belt went.
Matt

TaritaSchultz 10-24-2010 01:50 PM

No bus

I have a 2006 pt cruiser non turbo, which just shut down on me, It wont crank, lights and radio works,without the key and it says "no bus" on the dash.:( what do I do

CHRYSLER TECH 10-24-2010 10:05 PM

a no bus issue is a computer issue or something causing the computer to have an issue take it to some one for this sorta thing

CHRYSLER TECH 11-17-2010 04:56 PM

humm 1 million