Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler PT Cruiser (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pt-cruiser-13/)
-   -   05 Cruiser won't start/won't crank (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pt-cruiser-13/05-cruiser-wont-start-wont-crank-12290/)

2005Cruiser 09-02-2010 02:40 PM

05 Cruiser won't start/won't crank

Hello, Thanks in advance for your help.

2005 PT Cruiser 2.4L non-turbo 5 speed standard. I drove it to work, it ran fine. I got in it to go to lunch and it won't crank. I hear the fuel pump presure up and the lights are good, but it will not tun over. I can jump from battery + to the starter solenoid, it will crank, but will not start. Turned the key to the run position jumped from battery + to solenoid, it will crank, but will not start. I replaced the ignition switch, no change.
1) How do I pull the codes?
2) Will a defective cam or crank sensor cause an engine not to crank?

TNtech 09-02-2010 10:31 PM

No, cam and crank sensor will not cause a "no crank" condition. Not on their own anyway. MAYBE if one of them shorted and took down the PCI Bus it's possible, however not typical. The IPM could have a problem. It powers up MANY things. Check ALL of your fuses.
Nowadays when you flip a switch or press a button, it just sends a request signal to a module telling it to do something. Ignition switch just shows STATE of position and doesn't actually send current anywhere.

rick40 09-06-2010 12:34 AM

I would ask you to consult a good mechanic what the problem.he'll be able to tell you what's wrong and solve it.

2005Cruiser 09-07-2010 12:09 PM

Resolution and Thanks

I would like to say thanks to all how have taken the time to respond with suggestions and ideas. I would like to post the resolution in hope that it might help someone else. Resolution: I found the yellow ignition wire from the ignition switch to the positive trigger side of the ignition relay in the fuse box under the hood had been cut. A relay had been installed in series in the yellow wire. Obviously being used as a starter interupt. The relay was controlled by an GPS locater that had been mounted under the dash. The locater was malfunctioning and causing the intermittant starting problem.

TNtech 09-08-2010 12:22 PM

Don't you love those wiring hack jobs :rolleyes:

dcotter0579 09-10-2010 07:46 PM

Sometimes those things are put in by the finance company to disable the car remotely if the payments get behind.

onemat 09-16-2010 10:13 AM

How many miles on the car? It sounds like the timing belt went.
Matt

TaritaSchultz 10-24-2010 01:50 PM

No bus

I have a 2006 pt cruiser non turbo, which just shut down on me, It wont crank, lights and radio works,without the key and it says "no bus" on the dash.:( what do I do

CHRYSLER TECH 10-24-2010 10:05 PM

a no bus issue is a computer issue or something causing the computer to have an issue take it to some one for this sorta thing

CHRYSLER TECH 11-17-2010 04:56 PM

humm 1 million

CHRYSLER TECH 12-11-2010 11:32 AM

what is unstable?

tampafan1983 01-21-2012 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by TNtech (Post 40368)
No, cam and crank sensor will not cause a "no crank" condition. Not on their own anyway. MAYBE if one of them shorted and took down the PCI Bus it's possible, however not typical. The IPM could have a problem. It powers up MANY things. Check ALL of your fuses.
Nowadays when you flip a switch or press a button, it just sends a request signal to a module telling it to do something. Ignition switch just shows STATE of position and doesn't actually send current anywhere.

what are you referring to when you talk about the IPM?

TNtech 01-22-2012 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by tampafan1983 (Post 57991)
what are you referring to when you talk about the IPM?

The fuse box under the hood.

tampafan1983 01-22-2012 09:50 AM

thanks TNtech I hadn't heard that term before.

tampafan1983 01-22-2012 04:19 PM

2005 PT Cruiser won't start/ doesn't crank

I have an 05 pt cruiser that won't crank it doesn't even make a sound like the starter is trying to engage. I checked all the fuses and relays they all checked good. I was told that it could be the neutral safety switch but I don't know where it is at, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

TNtech 01-22-2012 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by tampafan1983 (Post 58003)
thanks TNtech I hadn't heard that term before.

Earlier PTs had what you call a Power Disrtibution Center. When they went to CAN BUS in 05/06, they incorporated a TIPM, which is IPM and Front Control Module combined into one unit. An IPM can be unplugged and replaced, a PDC usually comes empty or it is included in the wiring harness. The earlier ones also had a fuse box on the inside, the newer ones do not.

What are you trying to fix?

tampafan1983 01-22-2012 04:49 PM

I have a 05 pt that won't start all the lights come on just won't crank. A family friend who use to be a mechanic said it could be a neutral safety switch which i then called autozone and they said that the 05 pt no longer has a neutral safety switch but rather a transmition range sensor that does the same job.

tampafan1983 01-22-2012 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by 2005Cruiser (Post 40347)
Hello, Thanks in advance for your help.

2005 PT Cruiser 2.4L non-turbo 5 speed standard. I drove it to work, it ran fine. I got in it to go to lunch and it won't crank. I hear the fuel pump presure up and the lights are good, but it will not tun over. I can jump from battery + to the starter solenoid, it will crank, but will not start. Turned the key to the run position jumped from battery + to solenoid, it will crank, but will not start. I replaced the ignition switch, no change.
1) How do I pull the codes?
2) Will a defective cam or crank sensor cause an engine not to crank?

2005Cruiser. I am having the exact same problem what ended up being the final solution to your problem?

tampafan1983 01-22-2012 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by TNtech (Post 58013)
Earlier PTs had what you call a Power Disrtibution Center. When they went to CAN BUS in 05/06, they incorporated a TIPM, which is IPM and Front Control Module combined into one unit. An IPM can be unplugged and replaced, a PDC usually comes empty or it is included in the wiring harness. The earlier ones also had a fuse box on the inside, the newer ones do not.

What are you trying to fix?

I have an 05 pt cruiser that won't crank it doesn't even make a sound like the starter is trying to engage. I checked all the fuses and relays they all checked good. I was told that it could be the neutral safety switch but I don't know where it is at, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mcgrilla 08-17-2018 04:35 PM

2005 pt cruiser

Oh my gosh im having the same problem COULD SOMEONE PLZ HELP

Mcgrilla 08-20-2018 08:46 PM

No crank no start

2005 pt cruiser 5 speed died at the light and hasnt started cents only anks over wen i jump the starter and the obd reader wont link