Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

I'm scared to drive my 2003 PT cruiser (car cuts off while driving)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Default I'm scared to drive my 2003 PT cruiser (car cuts off while driving)

I own a 2003 5 speed TE

I'm not a "car person" but I do love my car and I'm hating the fact that I'm scared of it.Anytime I need to slow downto make a turn or if I'm in traffic and in 2nd gear it just dies with no noise and no warning. I'm just a normal girl who knows nothing about car stuff but I know that a car shutting off when in a low gear is not normal and is very scary!! I took it to a friend who works for Good Year and he kept it for two days and said he could find nothing wrong with it and nothing was detected on the diagnostic machine either and I had a full tune up with new battery only 4 months ago (before the problem even started). I wanted to break down and cry because I'm not crazy and the past two days I was almost re-ended twice! I feel guilty having other people in my car at this point and I just can't put in words what is going on with my car. Does anyone have a clue on where I can get some answers?

Also for the past 8 months my brake light stays on in 1st and 2nd gear??

Old 12-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Default RE: I'm scared to drive my 2003 PT cruiser (car cuts off while driving)

Obviously, the car should not be stalling out like that. Engines in cars nowadays are controlled by a fairly sophisticated computer that reads a number of sensors and adjusts the engine as it drives to keep it running properly. The computer also constantly runs diagnostic checks to be sure that the sensors are working properly and that the readings it gets make sense. Most of the time, when a problem develops, like stalling, or running rough, the computer will detect the problem and generate error codes, which can be read with the proper equipment. Not knowing what your friend used as a "diagnostic machine", I can't speak to why nothing showed up, but Chrysler dealers have a special machine called a DRB III (DRB stands for diagnostic readout box - pretty clever eh?) that may find error codes that your friend's machine didn't find. Most probably, your friend used an OBD II (for on-board diagnostics) scanner, which is sufficient for many vehicles but is not specific to Chryslers.
It's also possible that your car has a problem that doesn't generate an error code, like a clogged fuel filter or something.
Anyway, you asked where you could go to get an answer. Probably the best place would be a Chrysler dealer. They will charge you a diagnosis fee, but will usually apply that to the repairs if you choose to have them fix the car. A reputable dealership will also stand behind their repairs with a warranty of some kind so if it's not right when they are done, you can insist that they make it right.
If you succeed in getting it fixed, come back here and share your experience. We are all here to learn, so we can benefit from your report.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:21 AM

You are so sweet to answer my question and YES you made a great point, funny how I didn't even think to take it to the dealer I think it has just be beat into my head that they are too expensive but if my life is on the line any cost is worth it. I just didn't know that there are different kinds of diagnostic machines out there either.

Thanks again!

Old 12-16-2008, 09:12 AM

Okay I got my car back from the Dealership and no codesshowed ontheir machine either. However they said the cause was due to severe carbon build up on the the Throttle Body. That explains why in low gear it would conk out sometimes. I've been driving it for the last 4 days haven't had any issues.

Alsothe reason my brake light kept coming on was because two of my brake lights were out.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:28 PM

Glad to hear you got the problem solved. We can all learn from your experience.