Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler PT Cruiser (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pt-cruiser-13/)
-   -   2003 pt cruiser engine light (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pt-cruiser-13/2003-pt-cruiser-engine-light-15938/)

jackiepawprints 10-06-2011 03:14 AM

2003 pt cruiser engine light

I bought a 2003 PT Cruiser Turbo. One month later the engine light came on with codes 0456 and 0517. I took the car in on three separate occasions but I still have the problem. This is what the mechanic checked:

May19: tested purge solenoid - no leaks; tested all EVAP lines with smoke - no leaks; NVLD valve stuck open - constantly venting - will not close when commanded-replaced NVLD-EVAP test ran with MODIS and passed. Light still on.

June 8: Smoke tested and found a vacuum "T" for EVAP broken/cracked-repaired T and re-ran EVAP test with MODIS- passed. Light still on.

August 1: Smoke tested and thoroughly checked for leaks - none found; removed and cleaned EVAP lines of carbon; ran EVAP test with MODIS-passed. Replaced gas cap with new gas cap.

One week later the engine light went off on its own. After one month the engine light came back on.

The mechanic wants the car for two days for further pinpoint testing of EVAP system.

Does anyone have any idea what may be the solution or problem? Thank you.

TNtech 10-06-2011 08:28 AM

If it came back on after a MONTH, what makes you think it's still the EVAP system? Last I checked there were about 260 reasons it couild come on.

jackiepawprints 10-06-2011 02:30 PM

I don't have a clue. The mechanic thinks it may be the EVAP system. Do you have a downloadable form that lists those 260 reasons? I am grasping at straws here. Thank you.

TNtech 10-06-2011 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by jackiepawprints (Post 54970)
I don't have a clue. The mechanic thinks it may be the EVAP system. Do you have a downloadable form that lists those 260 reasons? I am grasping at straws here. Thank you.

Let me know what the codes are at this time. If it's still P0456 for small leak (we're talking .020") and he really can't find any external leaks, the most likely would be an internal leak inside the purge solenoid. If you're not well experienced in EVAP systems they will eat your lunch. As hard as my job is, I can't imagine being at an independent shop these days. What a cluster that must be.

jackiepawprints 10-07-2011 02:30 AM

Thank you for getting back to me. The codes are still and always have been: codes 0456 and 0517.

I look forward to hearing from you.

TNtech 10-07-2011 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by jackiepawprints (Post 54994)
Thank you for getting back to me. The codes are still and always have been: codes 0456 and 0517.

I look forward to hearing from you.

517 is a battery temp sensr high voltage. Not related to the EVAP code. Batt sensor is under the battery tray. May be unplugged. FYI, i've been burned on that 456 for purge internal leak a couple times. Engineer tests many times don't account for certain things.

mikeaustin 11-02-2011 06:47 AM

Thanks for the help.