Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler PT Cruiser (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pt-cruiser-13/)
-   -   2004 PT Stumbler (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pt-cruiser-13/2004-pt-stumbler-4596/)

Pug 01-15-2008 11:18 AM

2004 PT Stumbler

After I bought my 2005 300, it was time to upgrade the wife's wheels too. Seeing as how she loves my mom's 2005 PT we decided to get her one. After copious shopping, we found the perfect one! A 2004 PT Touring with power everything etc. and only 29,900 miles. During the test drive, we noticed what felt like a shudder when the AC clutch kicked in. The salesman explained that since it's a 4 cylnder it has to work harder to run belt-related accessories. Ok, well its almost a year later and the car still has that strange idle stumble. It's never died, or did not start thought. We started to have problems with the rear brakessquealing very badly so I took it into Huffines for both issues. They said the brakes just "do that" on PT's and there was no misfiring etc.

I have had some people say that the idle needs to be raised - but I kinda have the same problem with the 300. A tech at Eldorado Chrysler told me that its the computer leaning out the gas mixture at idle so you get better emissions and economy.

Any ideas?

JohnHaddox 01-16-2008 11:11 PM

RE: 2004 PT Stumbler

I have the same problem with my 2005 PT Cruiser. It doesnt happen just when the air conditioning is on. It also happens from time to time when no equipment is on and the heat is on. And this only occurs when you start from a stop position at a stop sign or red light.

Can anyone point me to how to get this to stop. Can it be fixed?

Pug 01-17-2008 11:30 AM

it may - gulp - be just a trademark of that engine... I sure hope not. We love that thing. Nothing like having a vehicle that drives like a car, has the space of a SUV, and the utility of a truck.

irdaneel 05-20-2008 01:42 AM

It also may be EGR valve leakage or a sticky idle air valve or vacuum leak. But yes, a large a/c compressor on a 4 cyl motor can rock it's world on starting.

moe 05-20-2008 10:48 AM

hey guys.i know that they have changed the spark plug from re16mc to a new number heres the new plugs re14mcc5,they claim its for certain production codes.they reason is the old ones caused ignition voltage flashover. its a good idea to change both the plugs and wires at the same time. you might have to have someone at the dealership run your production codes this for a 2.4 non turbo with sales code ED1 or EDZ.moe

ndw13 06-27-2008 09:53 PM

I had the same issue although mine is a turbo...i changed plugs and set the gap at .050....purrs like a kitten. The plugs are do to be changed at 30K. I pulled mine out and they had almost a .090 gap...they were SERIOUSLY cooked. Also I've noticed that if i use gas that has ethanol in it, it does the same thing.