Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

2004 PT, Bad ECM

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Angry 2004 PT, Bad ECM

Refurb ECMs are running about $240 from various companies, and the local dealer says $550 maximum price of the 4 available for that car, I need to supply the VIN, blah blah..

Any reason the local mechanic would be charging $799 +$150 programming, other than the obvious thought that comes to mind?

Maybe I am Missing something? Part Number quoted by the local guy was
RL033327

Thanks for any advice.
`hege

Old 08-30-2011, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

U are asking the wrong people U need to be asking him why he is charging so much

Old 08-31-2011, 12:52 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks CT,

That part already handled.
I was thinking that there might be some special cases where the ECM might cost more than others, OEM vs refurb, etc...and I thought someone like yourself might have some insight into the various differences in the units and their relative costs. Apparently not.
Pricing for the units are all over the map, and in this case it looks like the better course would have been to tow it to the dealership for this repair.
This local guy has to drag the car to the dealer for the ECM programming, as he does not have the specific EQ. That's part of the added cost. Also the mechanic had a chance to scare an 84 year old woman on a walker by suggesting that she should scrap her car, and basically coerced her into signing the quotation. (My Mom)
I went a level higher and got the pricing adjusted down to a more realistic figure by the guys boss, and reminded them not to crap in their own backyards. They may have been there for 40 years, but I grew up there and rode my bicycle across the dirt lot that would become their business, probably pissed in the corner when the building was being built, and bought my first set of tires for my first car at that same business.

I believe the manager who did the original quote is getting some "re-training" this week.

Thanks

`hege

Old 08-31-2011, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

The labor is pretty much the same a dealer PCM would need to be programed
a used PCM would more then likely leave u hanging in the wind there are come people out there to programs them and send them to u.
There are to many variables that are unknown at this time to go any kinda reason why he would charge as much as he did plus are all your quotes that U got installed prices or are they parts only? that's one more factor to add into it.