Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

Help: Oil leak from somewhere

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Question Help: Oil leak from somewhere

Hi, i have a Chrysler PT Cruiser 2001 2.4 liter, and it has 157,000 miles on it. while my wife was out of town, i was using her car and, left the PT in the garage for the last 3 weeks, last week i started the PT to let it run for 10 minutes, than pulled it on too the street. when i went back into the garage i noticed a small oil puddle the size of a small (coffee can), i than pulled the car back into the garage on jacked it up and put (stands) under it, got under the car and checked the oil pan,the oil filter, the oil release screw, the gaskets on top of the engine...nothing, no leak. than i cleaned the bottom of the engine with a rag, than started the car while it was on the jacks, got back under the car while it was running and noticed a small flow of oil coming from atop the axle and downward, note the leak was not coming from the axle, only somewhere in the area above the axle on the drivers side front.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:24 PM

Is it red in color? That would indicate transmission fluid. Most likely to be trans fluid from that location.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:13 AM
Default help:oil leak from somewhere

No, its not transmission oil or, power steering oil, or break oil, this is motor oil for sure. it doesn't make since at all, i checked all the oil related areas and can't figure it out. i mean the car hadn't been started for a week and, i thought maybe i cracked my engine (block) but, the car run ...i mean it sounds like **** for about 2 minutes but, than its idling fan except for the flow of motor oil coming from above the axle and hitting the axles than slowly runs over and drips to the ground. there is no water mixed with the oil so, i don't think i cracked the block or anything. ??? i know alittle about working on cars but, this one is something else.

Dean

Old 03-31-2010, 10:32 AM

You might want to pull out the air cleaner box and get a better view of the engine. Maybe you will be able to see where it's coming from.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Smile Help: oil leak from somewhere

Hello

I figured it out now, last night i had the car up on jack stands and got under it and again clean the bottom of all oil, than started the car again while it was still on the jack stands. after about 15 minutes of running the car,i did not see any oil flow again, it was crazy it just stopped leaking. Than i thought about it for alittle bit, than it came to me about, i month ago i had my oil changed at Jiffy Lube, and i think what happen was when, they changed the oil and filled it back with new, they must have spilled some down the engine and, it found its was to an area where it just sat until i jacked the car up, than dripped down from the bottom of the car. I fill like a retard now but, i'm glad i figured it out because, i was just about to pay the dealer $100.00 to tell me what was wrong.

Thanks Again
Dean

Old 04-02-2010, 01:21 PM

Actually, that's a good outcome and you managed to figure it out without paying $100 to the dealer. Congratulations.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:18 AM

Just check it out your petrol connection area .around surface of petrol tank i think it may Be There are little bit hall in you petrol tent so go your near by car show room garage Manager tell her something about this problem.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:27 PM

Hi, I just joined the forum and your oil leak issue had me reading some more threads. I have a 2007 PT touring with the 2.4 liter engine. Mine has 49,000 on it. Wife came home stating the oil light was on. Could see oil leaking so I checked filter, pan nut and the oil fill cap., no issues there. Checked the dip stick and no oil registered, added 2 1/2 to 3 quarts and engine oil registered in the correct range. started the car and the oils started leaking and I could see it was coming from the front of the engine. Brought it to my mechanic and he informed me the front crankshaft seal was leaking and that there was a lot of play with the crank. Seems this is a common issue with the 2.4 liter motor. I called the NHSTA and they stated they had received numerous complaints... Any way, in my case, just replacing the seal won't fix the problem..Others posts I have read stated the seal started leaking again within a week to 1000 miles. This was a post by a person who's PT was under warranty and Chrysler replaced the seal twice. My mechanic stated a crank-kit with new bearings and the a seal replacement were needed. I trust my mechanic and have used him and his father for over 30yrs. A crank kit is required along with the seal...And if the crank had to much play, it's also possible that the crank has eaten into the block. The short block may need to be replaced as well. Not cheap by any means. Seal only, $600, seal and crank kit $1200, seal crank kit and short block, up to $4000. Could be cheaper to put in a used engine but then could end up with the same issue. Long story short, I contacted Chrysler and they gave me case file #...The warranty ran out at 36,000 so I am trying to get Chrysler to step up and cover the costs. They told me I had to take the car to a Chrysler dealer for diagnosis, $100, and then get back to them. Car goes to the dealer on Wednesday... No car should have these type of issues with 49,000 miles. Most cars today should go 200,000 miles as long as you do the maintainece. Just wondering if anyone else on the site has had this problem and if Chrysler stepped up to the plate or left you out to dry. Keep an eye out for oil leaks because if it's the front crank seal your not going to be happy.

tkd83

Old 02-21-2011, 11:08 AM

I am with you...I have a 2007 PT Cruiser and I was leaking oil and brought it to my local mechanic...He said it was the Crank Seal and replaced it....and called me and said he lowered the lift to drive it to a parking spot and it popped out again, he coulodn't believe it. He had it for a few more days and put another one in..I dove it one day and was leaking so much oil that when i brought it to him he said it was dangerous for me to have been driving it. I am out $600...The mechanic looked on the web and found numerous complaints...I am looking for anyone who can share a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) from 2006 or 2007 about this issue. I have heard it exists...I need a copy (as we all do with this issue) to show they knew about it...any help?

Old 02-21-2011, 11:13 AM

anyone have the TSB for the Crank case seal issue?

Quick Reply: Help: Oil leak from somewhere