Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

New fan noise

Old 02-27-2014, 04:08 PM
Default New fan noise

My other post mentions my A/C repair and apparently the fan, relays and module were all bad. Is that possible that all 3 components can do that?

Anyway, now when I turn off the engine the fan makes a sound of an air raid siren coming to a stop. By no means is it that loud, but I've never heard that before.

It sounds like this YouTube clip at the 3:22 mark

Mini Siren DIY Increasing WIND DOWN - YouTube

Again, it's not that loud and dramatic, but still a concern.

DGO

Old 02-27-2014, 10:19 PM

"apparently the fan, relays and module were all bad. Is that possible that all 3 components can do that?" Not likely.

"now when I turn off the engine the fan makes a sound of an air raid siren coming to a stop" Why would the engine fan be on in this weather anyway? It is NOT supposed to be running whenever the engine is on. It should only run under certain conditions, and in super cold weather like we are having now, it shouldn't run much. Did you have some repair work done? If so, either take it back and have them fix it properly or take it somewhere else and bill the first guy for the re-work.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:15 AM

I will call them today and see what they say. Thanks. Will update when I get some more info.

DGO

Old 03-03-2014, 04:29 PM

I took old fan and played with it a little. It seems that the low speed is working but the high speed is not. I will take it to my brother who is an electronics engineer. It could be that there's some simple circuitry within the motor itself that went bad. He will also test the relays.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:45 PM

I couldn't edit so I replied.

It seems that I only get that sound if the A/C was turned on. After looking on the internet for others with similar problems, I came across this video:

I get the same sound that can be heard at the 59 second mark. Is this going to be a big problem? I am driving through the U.S. this Friday for a week, so will this last that long or am I going to destroy the bearing or compressor, or serpentine belt etc?