Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

'01 Cruiser changed timing belt rough idle when warm

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Default '01 Cruiser changed timing belt rough idle when warm

I changed water pump and timing belt on my wifes '01 cruiser. When stone clod it starts right up and idles fine as it warms up the idle gets rough. It drives fine put 10 miles on it but when you slow to a stop the idle becomes rough and it stalls out sometimes. I checked for codes but there aren't any, no check engine light. I repaired a vacuum leak, changed the plugs and wires. cleaned the air intake manifold and throttle body, new PCV valve. Still no change. I previously had the timing wrong and had to pull it apart again to reset the timing, this time I reviewed again how to set the marks and was careful to do it right. Plus I ran it as it was...mostly apart and then rechecked the timing mark spinning motor two times... check marks repeat... did this two or three times and was content I had it right. But still when its warm it won't idle. It runs drives smooth otherwise..... is it possible one of the cam gears is 180 out as I did see there are two marks on each cam gear. I don't know what to do somebody please help.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:31 PM

On the front of the cams it will read "2.4" they should be right side up. When the cams marks are in line with each other horizontally, the crank sprocket will be just shy of 1/2 tooth past the mark.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:10 PM

or when the crank mark is set on the money the exhaust cam will be half a notch ahead of the intake cam which is how it was. but from everything I have read I have it right.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:08 PM

Did you ever find out what was wrong? I have a 99 plymouth voyager with a 2.4. I changed the timing belt and water pump on it and has the same problem.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:18 PM

yes greenchevy I did, I tore it back down and found one cam gear 1 tooth too advanced and one cam gear 1 tooth too retarded reset the timing and checked the two marks on each gear with a straight edge once the tension was off the belt. It took 4 or 5 attempts (taking the tension off the belt reset the gears then putting the tension back on and turning it 360degrees to check marks) once all four marks were straight (and the words on the cam gears are right side up) then just as it sat I started it and let it warm up completely ran like a top. Good luck let me know

Old 08-13-2012, 05:59 PM

When u checked timing marks on the cams. Did the teeth line up or the marks on the teeth. The exhaust cam mark is lower then the intake mark on the cams. Every time I redo the timing the marks look good but when I rotate the engine 2 times it looks like the exhuast cam is half a tooth ahead.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:51 PM

did you start it? yes JUST AS IT SITS!!!! the marks on the gear should line up ALL FOUR of THEM check with a straight edge, the best you can and start it up. As long as you put coolant back in it.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:06 AM

or when the crank mark is set on the money the exhaust cam will be half a notch ahead of the intake cam which is how it was.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:28 PM

p/t head I,m having the same problems, however I did not replace the timming belt but I was going to and seen someone else had already done it. my idle is the same as yours, after it warms up. the timming marks line up on the cam gears, but not if you put a straight edge across them do I need to line them up with a straight edge? which I think if I do they will be about a half a tooth off???

Old 12-12-2012, 06:42 PM

slim51 did you get it running....sorry been away for a while. Yes it should when tension is back on the belt it should look half a tooth off. Hope you straightened it out.

Quick Reply: '01 Cruiser changed timing belt rough idle when warm