Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

Motor mount difference?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 07:49 AM
Default Motor mount difference?

Hi all!
Doing some work on my wife's pity, and i thought it was rather careful in ordering the correct motor mount, but clearly something isn't quite 100%

The photo is pretty self explanatory, the new piece lacks the larger butt end.

I had to get the car back together for the time being, and mounted the new piece and test drove, seems normal. Does anyone know the function of that butt end, and if it's a concern?

it's a 2006 non turbo

Thanks!

Old 09-17-2018, 08:59 AM

could it just be an updated design,try googling image of different years/options that might give you some help
If car runs well and no quirks maybe youre worrying about nothing
brianj

Old 09-19-2018, 08:02 AM

It seems this part is shared with the dodge neon, and i've see other people with the transferable flap like i should be able to attach to the new one. best guess is that the design was made to work with the neon without flap, pt with flap, or turbo vs non turbo... but it's tricky to figure it out based on internet photos because they can be not of the actual part being sold.

Looking at it i can't for the life of me figure out the purpose of that flap/big butt.

any sources i might be able to look into to get the flap, or likely it's only sold as part of the whole part? wouldn't be a huge deal to buy another of them and be sure it comes with the flap and just transfer the flap to the already installed unit instead of jacking the car again.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:11 PM

Motor mounts not only secure the engine in place but also have the function of reducing body shake by allowing the engine-transmission mass to bounce a little in an opposite motion when subjected to vibrations. It sounds very weird but they are actually engineered to do that. (I actually worked on designing engine mounts many years ago.) They are "tuned" to work optimally for each body style. Thus, mounts for a convertible will be slightly different for a sedan, and mounts for a Neon sedan will be slightly different from a PT Cruiser. If you replace only one mount, with one, say for a convertible rather than for a sedan, the difference in ride is not likely to be noticed. If you replace a whole set, you might notice the body being a little bit "shakier" when going over bumps. Personally, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.