Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler PT Cruiser (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pt-cruiser-13/)
-   -   PT Cruiser reliability - how does it compare? (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-pt-cruiser-13/pt-cruiser-reliability-how-does-compare-3190/)

mkaresh 06-13-2007 09:39 AM

PT Cruiser reliability - how does it compare?

In late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research. I'm reporting absolute stats like "times in the shop" that will make the differences between cars much clearer. Relative ratings obscure too much--how large is the difference between "better than average" and "worse than average"? I’ll also be updating results four times a year, so there will be information on new models sooner.

I'd especiallylike to start collecting data on the PT Cruiser because my wife happens to own a 2002 Dreamer I. But not enough owners have signed up to participate. 2001, 2002, and 2003 are all getting close, but aren't to the minimum of 25.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results free of charge.

Details: Vehicle reliability research

Comments, questions, and suggestions welcome.

mkaresh 01-04-2008 10:55 AM

RE: PT Cruiser reliability - how does it compare?

Have now started with the 2003, and other years are close.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Auto reliability research

mkaresh 05-26-2008 12:40 PM

The 2002 is now also included in the survey. Results for this and the 2003 possible in August.

Would like to also include other model years, just need more participants.

Vehicle reliability research

mkaresh 08-14-2008 12:15 PM

The PT won't be in the August results. To get it into the November set, we need more participants.

Vehicle reliability research

mkaresh 12-31-2008 11:24 AM

The 2003 BARELY made it into the November results, with a very small sample size.

We hope to include a few years in the February results, but it's going to be tight. A few more participants could make the difference.

Help get your year included:

Car reliability research

mkaresh 01-29-2009 12:43 PM

Updated PT Cruiser repair rate results next week. A few more model years will be included, again just barely. So additional participants would be very helpful.

Chrysler PT Cruiserrepair rate research

FWIW, my wife's PT needs more work. Seems that if you plow some snow with the fascia in 10-degree weather, the fascia can crack in four places...

dcotter0579 01-29-2009 06:31 PM

Yeah, my wife found that out with her Sebring. Plastic makes a very lousy snowplow.

mkaresh 02-26-2009 08:53 AM

We now have some results for the PT Cruiser. In terms of repair trips per 100 vehicles per year:

2001: 36, much better than average, appears too low to be accurate

2002: 95, about average

2003: 107, about average

In all three cases sample sizes are small, and these results are asterisked and visible only to participants on the site itself.

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May, August, and November. With more participants we can provide full results for the above years and include the others.

We now have a separate results page for each model that includes the results for competitors. The page for the PT Cruiser:

Chrysler PT Cruiser reliability comparisons

mkaresh 04-18-2009 11:26 AM

Updated results soon. It looks like four model years will be included, but with asterisks for marginal sample sizes. Let's get rid of those asterisks:

Car reliability research

mkaresh 05-20-2009 10:08 AM

190 PT Cruiser owners now signed up (including me). A very good start, but more remain needed to cover all model years.

Car reliability research