Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

05 PT stalled, won't crank

Old 01-12-2014, 08:51 PM
Default 05 PT stalled, won't crank

2005 PT Cruiser Turbo Convertible 120k miles

car suddenly stalled, no sputtering, no warning lights. The solenoid is not even clicking, and i do not hear fuel pump

New battery. I have checked all wires, loosened and retightened ground, checked all fuses and swapped relays. Tomorrow i'll try jumping posts 30 and 87 at the starter relay, but i have already changed relay

I tried removing solenoid wire; there seems to be a lock on clip that i have ot yet fured out.

I replaced starter switch activator a year ago. I am thinking it could be starter switch. Would that cause fuel pump to not activate also? Other than that (or PCM- I really don't want to go there) i am out of ideas.

Any constructive help would be appreciated

Old 01-12-2014, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

well stalling and starting are 2 different things first find out if your missing spark or fuel. Also will the starter itself even turn over?

Old 01-13-2014, 08:07 AM

I am clear on the difference between stalling and stopping. I am simply describing what happened and the symptoms.

The car was being driven at about 30 mph in a passive manner; there was no rapid acceleration. The car stopped running with no warning. After that, it would not crank over.. there is no sound of fuel pump, nor is there any clicking of the solenoid.

There is a new battery that has been retested and has a full charge. When i turn the key to the start position there is no battery drain.

There is 12.6 volts to the starter post. I tested at the starter relay by jumping 30 to 87 and it does nothing. All grounds on inner fender well have been checked and rechecked

Old 01-13-2014, 08:10 AM

I am trying to remove the wire from solenoid so that I can try to test starter and I csnt pull it off. Can someone advise me how to remove that plug

Old 01-13-2014, 08:18 AM

Iss there anything equivalent to a 'neutral safety switch on transmission that will be shutting me down?

Old 01-13-2014, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

for the PT yes there is but it will not make u stall. ij Remove the starter relay and jump pin 30 and 87 does the starter turn over then ?

Old 01-13-2014, 06:10 PM

Chrysler Tech. yes I tested that before I posted; it does nothing. I am getting 12v at 30. Thats why i want to take wire off solenoid and jump straight to solenoid. Again, it would not explain either the stall or why i dont hear fuel pump, but its something i'd like to eliminate. Can you or someone tell me how to unlock that clip??

This morning i replaced ignition switch and it did nothing. I can't think of anything else, except maybe pcm and we're (this is my girlfriends car) really on a budget; i dont want to throw money at this w/out a diagnosis

Old 01-13-2014, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

so your telling me that u take the starter relay out and with a wire jump pin 87 to 30 and the starter will not turn over? if this is correct that u have something like a brunt up harness or broken harness some where. U jumping the starter relay is a direct line of power to the starter. . so it will move provided there is 12v to the starter itself.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:47 AM

I agree. So I am asking how to take that wire off the solenoid. I cannot just pull it off. It appears to be a spade terminal with a locking mechanism. PLEASE advise me on how to pull the wire off.

BTW I tested and there is 12 v at starter

Old 01-14-2014, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

the red lock tab will just slid one direction it will be frozen because of age but that's all it does remove what u want to get to it then lock pick or flat head to pry it loose

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 PT stalled, won't crank