Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   01 T&C car stereo replacement (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/01-t-c-car-stereo-replacement-10309/)

etj84 11-15-2009 08:01 AM

01 T&C car stereo replacement

trying to replace 2001 T&C am/fm tape and w/ seperate oem cd player w after market unit and abandon oem cd. Bought harness adapters, but cannot get sound to speakers. is there an amp in car? If so, how can I bypass it or get it to work with new unit?

22chrysler 11-15-2009 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by etj84 (Post 32736)
trying to replace 2001 T&C am/fm tape and w/ seperate oem cd player w after market unit and abandon oem cd. Bought harness adapters, but cannot get sound to speakers. is there an amp in car? If so, how can I bypass it or get it to work with new unit?

yes there is an amp that the stock radio controls to turn on the relay. try krutchfield (sp?) they specialize in automotive audio equipement.

I personally had aftermarket radios in these vans, they always look so out of place.

actd 11-19-2009 05:30 PM

Is this the same with UK Voyagers - I was about to replace the CD/Tape unit in mine and had found (I think) suitable wiring harness adapters (including steering wheel control adapter), and the replacement unit has green lighting (best match I could get to the original) plus everything else I needed - I'd hate to do all this and then find it doesn't work.

22chrysler 11-20-2009 07:56 AM

this forum may not be suited to answering your specific technical question as there are many variables in your situation that may be quite unique. Since you have located the suitable wiring harness adapter, why not contact that company's technical support and the radio's technical department for more accurate probability for correct instruction

I personally despise aftermarket radios.

KeithC 04-14-2010 08:03 PM

Did you manage to get it working? If so, what was involved? I seem to have the same problem......

baldboab 04-14-2010 09:34 PM

Hiya,

This for me was a complete pain in the rear to get working. I bought a 99 voyager without a radio or even the harness. Just a bunch of wires, but I figured it out using a multimeter and a lot of patience and even the cables colour codes I got on here were different. the reason that you are getting no sound is because there is a relay which needs to be held at 12 volts in order for all the speakers to work. I was given an aftermarket radio which was all just a bunch of wires. Anyway the radio gave one output of 12 volts and that was to power an electric aerial so I used that output to power the relay. So I am guessing that you need to find which wire goes to the relay and connect it to a 12 volt source. get a wiring diagram for the car and one for the radio you have and try to figure out which wires to connect up. I have a chrysler manual in pdf format it may provide you with better info than it did me as I have a UK vehicle.

I have to agree though. I dont like aftermarket radios there is something nice about the originality and if I had a coded original radio, cassette or not I would be putting that back in my car. you can always buy these radio kits and even cassette kits that can connect up your ipod. I had one before they work better now than they used to and I have found that if you get one that you set the frequency of you get a smooth sound.

Robert.

actd 04-15-2010 02:21 PM

I looked long and hard for an aftermarket radio but there were none that I though would fit nicely in the dash. I finally decided on an adaptor which fools the existing head into thinking that an iPod is a CD changer, so my steering wheel controls (or the head unit) will control an iPod (up to six playlists, each one treated as a CD) - should be good when it finally arrives from the US - currently held up by a volcano :-)