Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   06 T&C 3.8 P0420 code and sluggish start (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/06-t-c-3-8-p0420-code-sluggish-start-29573/)

greaper 06-29-2018 11:08 AM

06 T&C 3.8 P0420 code and sluggish start

While pulling a u-haul trailer from VA to FL the check engine light came on but no issues with the drive. When I got to FL I had Autozone check and they told me a P0420 and P2096 codes. I then drove the vehicle for a few days while in FL and the CEL went off. However I noticed that when the van sat overnight the next morning it was sluggish to start. During the day after driving it would start right away throughout the day. Drove back from FL to VA and on the way without the trailer the CEL came on again. Got home and checked and the only code was the P0420 code. The van sat a few days and was difficult to start. I replaced the CAT 2 years ago as well as the O2 sensors.

When the CAT went bad before it was very noticeable and the power went way down and the mileage did as well.

Otherwise the van seems to be driving fine with the mileage right where it should be.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

CHRYSLER TECH 06-29-2018 12:18 PM

need a new converter

greaper 06-29-2018 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH (Post 106489)
need a new converter

What would cause a cat to go bad in just under 2 years?

greaper 06-30-2018 09:23 PM

I was talking with a friend of mine who suggested maybe I have a bad EVAP purge solenoid. My family has told me in the last few days that there is a smell of gasoline at the van. When I look up signs of a bad EVAP purge solenoid one of them is sluggish start.

What do you think?

Thanks

woodthumb 07-05-2018 06:24 PM

r u burning oil ? usual culprit of converter failure

greaper 07-06-2018 09:22 AM

I believe I am but don't see any smoke. I only have about 14k miles on the CAT. I did have an oil leak from the valve covers and that has been fixed but I seem to be loosing some oil, although not a lot. I drove the van the other day on a 500 mile trip with no check engine light. Only issue is when it is parked and off for a while that it is sluggish to start. If I turn the key to the on position for about 15 seconds then it starts fine. I still have the gas smell after driving it. I got under the van yesterday and no signs of gas leakage anywhere other than the smell. I am guessing I need to drop the tank to check all of the lines.

Thanks

CHRYSLER TECH 07-06-2018 08:52 PM

Cheap cat the fact you are towing with a van could also play a part. Evap purge takes gas vapor from the gas tank and burns it in the engine so how would that affect the cat it wont. The slow to start would be due to a gas leak and the pump having to prime itself back up to get fuel to the engine. Turn the key on and off 3x then try and start it that will get that slow start gone. The look at the fuel lines and filter area

greaper 07-13-2018 05:34 PM

I took the van into the shop to find the gas leak and it was leaking right at the connection to the gas pump. The gas pump had to be replaced and that fixed the problem with the sluggish start. So far after about 600 miles since the reset of the check engine light it has not come back on.