Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   1996 computer question (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/1996-computer-question-17126/)

steppjohn 03-19-2012 10:44 PM

1996 computer question

Hi,

I am new to these minivans.
I have a 1966 T&C, and I have noticed that the ECU computer has been changed in the past. (Has used part markings on it.)

I am considering getting an spare computer before I start out on a summer trip. (I know that in GM cars you have to be sure the correct "PROM" is installed in ECU/ECM computers you swap into your car. Typically, you just take the PROM out of your old unit and install in the new unit. That make it work properly in your car.)

My question is this.

Is there anything like this involved with Chrysler ECU's?
What do I have to look for, as I seek a proper spare computer?

Thanks John

Raptor 07 03-20-2012 03:25 AM

No. No PROM to swap.
This is one of many sources. Just send the vin# of your van to them and they will send you a fully programed Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Just install and you're done.

http://autocomputerexchange.net/

steppjohn 03-21-2012 08:06 AM

Raptor,

My thoughts on getting a spare computer was to go to my u pull it place and find one just like the one I have in it (a # 4727178) for 20 or 30 bucks or so.

(((My research finds that this is the one for my vehicle. ex from an ebay list

ECM/ECU FITS
CARAVAN 96 Elec Cont Unit (ECU); (left fender), 6-230 (3.8L), FWD, from 11/2/95
TOWN & COUNTRY 96 Elec Cont Unit (ECU); (left fender), 6-230 (3.8L), FWD, from 11/2/95
VOYAGER 96 Elec Cont Unit (ECU); (left fender), 6-230 (3.8L), FWD, from 11/2/95
ECM/ECU SPECIFICATIONS Ident: 4727178
Ident: R4748221
SMEC (Single Module Engine Cont).
WARNING: Module may require programming from dealer.
.....)))

but My concern is that last note>>>
"May" require programming from dealer...

That would imply that it "may" or "may not"...

So would a correct numbered u pullit computer really need to be programmed in some way? And what would be re programmed anyway?

Thanks John

steppjohn 03-21-2012 08:20 AM

raptor
correction
I printed the wrong stuff
what I have in my car is a number 4727146

but my questions remain the same

John

steppjohn 03-21-2012 08:31 AM

Raptor,

in further study, I see that I have the incorrect computer in the car.

since I have a 3.8 engine,
I should have the 4727178, as noted in my long note

rather than the 4727146 which is currently in the car. which is correct for the 3.3 engine. Prior owners screwed up..

Interesting,, but the thing seems to run nicely,
any thoughts on what having the wrong computer might be doing to the car?

John

Raptor 07 03-21-2012 03:43 PM

I can't tell you anything etched in stone but from reading forums for several years 3rd generation vans (96-00) seem to be more of a plug and play action. Many have taken PCMs from a junk yard and stuffed it in their van without programing and all was rosy. That said, I've also read of nightmare situations. Those tend to involve a mismatch of security systems between the van the PCM came from and the van it's installed in. I don't know if the part number reflects the system programmed into the computer. Later model vans appear to require PCM programing regardless.

steppjohn 03-21-2012 07:28 PM

Raptor,

I think you are probably right on that drop it in and it will work theory. That is pretty much what I came to, and I did not see anything to the contrary that in my research.

But I wish someone would step forward with some real world knowledge/experience in the swapping of the ECM computer between (1996) vans, to share for any future readers.

Any computer experience/info out there??

John

steppjohn 04-01-2012 09:29 PM

Hi,
I am still hoping that some of you will share your knowledge of ECM computers and the 3.8 engine.
But since I started this, I will add this,

I did look for a correct computer and there was not one available at this time.
I also took trip of 180 or so miles and very carefully checked the milage.
The onboard computer gave 24.5
My careful calculation based on the gas used and total miles driven gave 24.2

All in all, I am very pleased. This was driving mostly on back roads at maybe 55 or 60 and maybe a little slower on the nighttime trip back.

How does that stack up to the milage you other users of this engine get??

John