Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   1998 T&C LXi will not start AFTER fixing dash (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/1998-t-c-lxi-will-not-start-after-fixing-dash-17348/)

Q21701 04-13-2012 10:23 PM

1998 T&C LXi will not start AFTER fixing dash

OK. Here's a weird one for you all.:confused: I've got a 1998 Town & Country LXi. It had the typical intermittent starting issue unless you bang on the dash. Then the other day it stopped working shortly after I replaced the resistor for the variable speed control for the fan (I have all my speeds back for the fan). I have since soldered the two grounding pins from the instrument cluster, but it looks like that isnt the problem. :mad: (I did notice that there was some warping, possibly from heat, of the molex connector going into the cluster around pin13) I have no headlamps (but I do have turn signals, hazards and brake lights), no interior lights, no horn, no power locks, no front or rear wipers. My instrument cluster is dark. The needles flick for a second when I turn the key and the odometer and shift indicators have red lines across them. The information cluster above, works fine. No check engine light persists beyond the initial flash. The top information center that displays the compass and temp work but when you cycle to fuel information the information is blank. The vehicle tries to respond to the key fobs as you see the seat try to move to its' preset position as well as the mirrors, but it only lasts a fraction of a second. The radio and all fan controls work fine as well as the DC power outlet. All fuses have been checked visually and with a multi-meter. Battery is 11.2V and has been checked with a load tester (its a little low, but should crank over.)

:eek: PHEW! Ok. I think that about covers what I've done so far.

My thoughts are:

1. Bad instrument cluster and needs replacement

2. Short on the wiring harness (I wouldn't even know where to start looking)

3. Bad BCM

I need some help on this ASAP.

Thanks in advance!! :D

CHRYSLER TECH 04-13-2012 11:11 PM

possible BCM and or junction block

Q21701 04-13-2012 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH (Post 61006)
possible BCM and or junction block

Firstly, thanks for your quick response! :D

I know where to find the BCM and I located a few companies that will rebuild them (Rockauto.com and AESModules.com). Where would I look for the junction block?

Thanks.

Raptor 07 04-14-2012 12:22 AM

Junction block is your interior fuse panel left side bottom of dash. As I recall the BCM is mounted on it on a 98.

TNtech 04-14-2012 08:41 AM

Disconnect the cluster and see if it starts.

Q21701 04-14-2012 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by TNtech (Post 61017)
Disconnect the cluster and see if it starts.

Yep, tried that already. No change in anything. :(

Q21701 04-14-2012 08:08 PM

Could the fuseable link be related in any way? Also, I am hearing a high pitch whine from the PCM when the key is turned to the RUN position.