Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   1999 T&C L Heat only very hot or very cold (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/1999-t-c-l-heat-only-very-hot-very-cold-10512/)

simonda 01-02-2010 07:14 AM

1999 T&C L Heat only very hot or very cold

My wife's 1999 T&C Limitted front heater only blows extremely cold or extremely hot. Can't get wam temps regardless of the settings so it is very uncomfortable to drive in the winter as she has to cycle the heat on and off constantly. Any troubleshooting ideas?

On another problem the wiper delay does not work properly. regular non delayed settings work fine.

This has been a great van and I would like to fix these items.

simonda 01-02-2010 10:30 AM

additional info

Further investigation reveals that the cold and hot ONLY issue applies soley to the passenger side. The drivers side delivers cold, hot and everything inbetween, but the passenger side is cold very or hot only.

Blower fan works on all settings. Thermostat seems to keep van at the right temp and the coolent is at the correct level.

Any ideas why the passenger side heat is malfunctioning?

CHRYSLER TECH 01-02-2010 02:13 PM

the blend air door motor is more then likely the cause look under driver side dash U will see them.

simonda 01-02-2010 03:23 PM

Next step

OK. I did not really see a motor up under there on the driver side (maybe it is way up there and I missed it). However, I did see one on the passenger side and I took the three screws out that were holding it and took it to my tool bench. I put 12 volts on it and it worked fine. Then I put a volt meter on the supply wires in the car and moved the heat lever back in forth. There is vertually no change in voltage and there is less than a 1/2 a volt there-not enough to drive the motor.

So what is next? If I have the right motor (only found one) then it seems like it is some other electrical issue.

Thanks so much for your response.

22chrysler 01-02-2010 03:44 PM

You need to get a Factory Service Manual to see where all the heat control motors are located, because I doubt you got the right one.

CHRYSLER TECH 01-02-2010 04:18 PM

they are on the driver side under teh dash near your right foot little back accuators

simonda 01-02-2010 05:14 PM

Thanks I will look for these on the driver side in the morning. Dark now. When I put the actuator on the passenger side back in place, will I need to run through a calibration proceedure since I tested (ran) the motor on the bench? If so, how do I initiate the proceedure?

Now wish that I clarified which actuator to work with before dropping and testing the one on the passenger side. Oh well.

22chrysler 01-03-2010 01:04 AM

The factory service manual walks you through a proceedure on how to calibrate the heater controls. It's a matter of pushing a few buttons on the control panel

simonda 01-03-2010 08:01 AM

Any chance anyone could please provide this calibration proceedure for my 1999 3.8 L T&C? I do not have a service manual. Thanks so much.

CHRYSLER TECH 01-03-2010 01:02 PM

COOLDOWN TEST ENTRY
TO INITIATE TEST:
Set Blower motor ON HIGH
Open all A/C outlets
Depress A/C and WASH buttons simultaneously for 5 Seconds (Until all LED's light)
RESULTS:
All LED's will turn on for 5 Seconds.
Cooldown test is running if A/C and RECIRC are alternately flashing.
Acceptable result is when LED flashing stops.
Calibration Diagnostics and Cooldown must be run separately.
CALIBRATION DIAGNOSTICS AND COOLDOWN ABORT
Test can be aborted by doing one of the following:

Depressing Rear Window Defogger, RECIRC and Rear Wiper buttons.
Cycling Ignition OFF and then ON.
Control will automatically abort after 15 minutes from the time Calibration Diagnostics and Cooldown was entered.
The HVAC control module will return to normal operation or may indicate unsuccessful Calibration Diagnostics or Cooldown test by LED's flashing simultaneously.

COOLDOWN TEST FAILURE
Determine if the refrigerant system is operating correctly:
Check the outlet air temperature
Feel the compressor suction plumbing, is it hot?
If not OK, go to Step 2. If OK, repeat the Calibration Diagnostic and Cooldown test.
If system does not seem to be operating correctly, perform diagnostics for poor performance:
Low refrigerant charge
No charge
Compressor not operating