Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel sensor or pump? Or both?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 01:42 PM
Default Fuel sensor or pump? Or both?

My starting troubles after an extended period of parking (8+ hours) especially when its cold are still not over.
I narrowed my search to a problem getting the diesel to the engine from the tank.
So I looked in my Chrysler handbook and found there are several types of Fuels Sensor/Liftpump for the CRD models.
There are Stow and non Stow versions I found out.
But today I was at the scrapyard where they tried to sell me a Diesel sensor WITHOUT a pump just a sensor ...which was salvaged from a 2003 CRD 2.5 (Non Stow$Go).... Why did that voyager have a sensor without a pump?

When I look on Ebay I find all different kinds of Sensor/pumps stow and no stow...
This is so confusing..
I'm afraid I have to look under the car in the tank first to determine which pump I have...

Old 05-01-2017, 12:38 PM

My mechanic got the fueltank from under the car and concluded there is no pump in the tank..
It drove me insane because I am sure I can hear some pump from underneath the car and I am 99% sure my car wont start because for some reason the fuel flows back when the car is idel and has a problem building enough pressure to lift the fuel to the engine.
So now what?
I looked under the car myself and found not only a connector for the watersensor but also a connector to a pump in the fuelfilter housing

The differences between petrol and diesel cars tricked me
But now I have to find that part hoping it solves my problem

Old 05-02-2017, 08:34 AM

Hiya,

Yes there are many variations which are really confusing on it, the 2.8CRD (2004/2005 that I have) has the same as you, nothing in the tank, but beside it the fuel filter/water/pump assembly, small drain, water in fuel sensor and this on mine is the only lift pump, but you hear it at initial ignition switch on for a few seconds.

I did a video on mine changing the fuel filter on my model if you want to compare the bits involved, but looks like you've got it cracked now :-)

I have slight starting issues from cold, I have to blip the accelerator whilst turning over and it usually catches after a few spins, bit of a cloud of smoke but it starts, never had a non-start yet but it's obviously the start of a similar issue.
I've changed the filter on mine and no difference so my suspicion is there is a small air leak somewhere in the line (or injector return rail) causing the fuel to seep back down over long periods.
I've not yet identified it exactly, I did the injector leak/return test which didn't reveal a huge amount being returned/leaked by the injectors so I've ruled those out on mine for now.

Good luck!

Old 05-04-2017, 02:29 PM

After a few days testing with the new filterhouse/liftpump I am happy to report the car starts pretty quick every morning after a long parkingtime.
Problem seems solved with this.
I hope it stays this way now...

Old 05-05-2017, 05:15 AM

%!!$#!%!$%!%#!$%^!#!11%#!%#$%$!45!54!!!!

This morning the car wouldn't start.... AGAIN!
A small "wiff" of brakecleaner and the CRD starts imediatly...
After that car runs perfect and keeps starting very well, every time... until tomorrow morning..

Someone please shoot me..