Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   2001 Town & Country - No dash intruments/Lights - Won't Start (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/2001-town-country-no-dash-intruments-lights-wont-start-17697/)

brownmal 06-08-2012 03:23 PM

2001 Town & Country - No dash intruments/Lights - Won't Start

After a jump, my T&C's instrument panel went dark--no lights; instrumentation are not working. Also, the van will crank but not turn over. I ran a diagnostic on it and came up with no trouble codes. The mechanic that gave me the jump (with a machine) thought that we might have blown the computer. His suggestion is a power control module. The closest thing that I can figure is the FCM in the front of the circuit breaker panel. I have removed it (part #04869000AI). 1. Could this be the problem? Suggestions on what it could be? 2. If so, can I use another part number? I have found similiar FCM parts for a 3.3L engine, but mine is 3.8L engine and Limited Edition with way more bells and whistles that could be effected. I have read on some forums that it may or may not be able to swap these out and perhaps may have to "flash" something. What does that mean? Is the module flashed or the main computer? cluster? 3. What would happen if I swapped it for a 3.3L module? or what if I tested mine on another vehicle that has a 3.3L engine. I have found one to do that but don't want to risk damage to the other vehicle or mine? Thanks ahead for replies, David

CHRYSLER TECH 06-08-2012 04:01 PM

how can U do all that from a jump start ? unless it was hooked up wrong if that's the cause check all your fuses first .

brownmal 06-08-2012 05:33 PM

All the fuses checked fine

brownmal 06-09-2012 06:10 AM

I guess I could tell more history. I was doing regular maintenance. Knowing that my battery was close to dead, it was the next thing on the list. Changed spark plugs/wires and thermostat. Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but naturally some water spilled when I took the thermostat out. I suspect that some water could have gotten on the wiring harness that remarkably sits in an area highly likely to get wet when driving over puddles. I had noticed another time that the wiring harness had exposed wires (the black tape surrounding it was coming off), but the exposed wires all appeared to have sufficient insulated coating. I did not see any actual copper exposed. So it is possible that the water arced on something when the jump occurred. But this is only suspect and no evidence.

brownmal 06-09-2012 06:18 AM

I am military stationed overseas, so getting someone to work on a Chrysler is difficult at best, extremely expensive if you can even find someone. Our best solution is to go to the Auto Hobby Shop and attempt repair yourself. You can't get parts here so long wait times until parts from the states arrive. Ordering parts to troubleshoot could costs months of lost lag time.

Raptor 07 06-09-2012 12:40 PM

Been there. I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath 87-92. Sad to hear getting parts is still a hassle. Big thanks for your contribution in defending the USA.

One ugly problem. The usual culprits in a crank but no start situation are the fuel pump, crank sensor, coil pack or PCM. Considering your jump experience this may go beyond that but you can still try a few simple checks. Get a can of starter fluid and spray it in the intake. If the engine fires it means you're getting spark but no fuel to the engine. Probably a bad pump. If it doesn't fire you're not be getting spark. You can use a timing light or inductive/inline spark testers to check it or just pull a plug wire off, hold it close to metal structure and watch for a spark as someone cranks the the engine. If there's no spark it could be a coil, crank/cam sensor or PCM.

10 amp fuse 28 supplies B+ power to the cluster and BCM. The BCM drives many of the cluster instruments and lights and is the data bus power source. Try disconnecting the negative battery cable for 2-3 minutes. This will rest the data bus and maybe your cluster.

Chrysler has a fairly extensive dealer network in Europe. Nothing like here in the US but they are there. Might check around and see where the closest one is. If you're in the Pacific I doubt that's an option.

Not sure why you're looking at the FCM though I'll never say no. If it comes to a PCM you can order them online from Automotive Computer Exchange or AutoZone for $2-300. Not sure if they ship overseas.

brownmal 06-10-2012 04:15 AM

*Reset battery done- no impact
BCM: I don't think it's this b/c I have some lights, radio, ac ctrl panal to include fans.

I do NOT: electro ic blocks, car doors, instrument panel.

Dave

brownmal 06-10-2012 07:42 AM

Correction dome lights and door locks

brownmal 06-10-2012 03:00 PM

Hey Raptor. Thanks for the words and for your service! Well I decided to go and find specifics instead of trying to remember what works and what doesn't. So here it is:

Working:
-Dome Lights
-Radio
-AC control panel and fans
-Clock
-Control panel on the roof above the rear view mirror (but all data is dashed -- -- --)
-Brake Lights
-Blinkers and inside indicators on panel above instrument cluster
-Hazard lights and indicators
-Automatic Door locks
-Power seats/heaters
-Power Windows
-Cigarette lighters throughout
-Rear wiper
-Red Alarm Light on panel above instrument cluster
-Headlights come on (BUT...see below)

What doesn't work:
-Headlights come on even though they are turned off. Will turn off with ignition key OFF. The High/Low Beams do not work.
-Front Windshield Wipers
-Power Doors (to open/close)
-No fire to the plugs (will crank but not turn over)

brownmal 06-10-2012 03:23 PM

Well I finally found what the BCM specifically controls but can't find the same thing for the ECM/PCM or the FCM. Anyone have any ideas? Raptor, you were a great help. The mechanic at the hobby shop and I tried your suggestion with the spark plug only to find no fire.

The body control module provides the following features:
· Power Door Locks
· Automatic Door Lock
· Door Lock Inhibit
· Central Locking (with VTSS Only)
· Battery Protection
· The BCM will automatically turn OFF all exterior lamps after 3 minutes and all interior lamps after 15 minutes after the ignition is turned OFF, if they are not turned OFF by the driver.
· Chime Driver
· Compass/Minitrip Support
· Interior Lighting (Courtesy/Reading Lamps)
· BCM Diagnostic Reporting
· Electronic Liftgate Release (with Power Door Locks)
· Exterior Lighting
· Headlamp Time Delay (with/without Autoheadlamps)
· Automatic Headlamps (with electrochromatic mirror)
· Illuminated Entry
· Fade to OFF
· Headlamp Time Delay (with/without Autoheadlamps)
· Automatic Headlamps (with electrochromatic mirror)
· Illuminated Entry
· Fade to Off