Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   2004 T&C Electric problem. (wont start) (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/2004-t-c-electric-problem-wont-start-10547/)

Kiddi j 01-09-2010 10:28 AM

2004 T&C Electric problem. (wont start)

Hi, new to this forum.

Just bought a 04 T&C with 30K on the clock.

As i was driving today i felt it was loosing some power, but i thought it was almost out on gas because the gas light was out. I pulled up on the gas station i just happened to pass by. Shut the car of and it would not start up again. All the dashlights started blinkin guages went up and down and the dome light blinked.

I popped the hood and heard a ticking noise coming from the fusebox when i had the ignition on but i stopped when I took the key out of the ignition.

I got a gas station employee to give me a jump. Then it seem like the power came on and all the lights, guages and dashlights seemed to work properly. When i tried to start it up a loud ticking noise came from the hood (guessing the alternator, defenately no the fuse box).

I´m guessing a bad battery because of a bad alternator.

Anybody experienced this problem

Since i bought the car on thursday...this is kind of disappointing. :(

22chrysler 01-09-2010 10:46 AM

bummer, so you expect a 6 year old vehicle to be a brand new never to have any problems?

i'm 'guessing' that you need an alternator, PCM, battery, wire harness and anything else related to the electrical system

I avoid low mile vehicles because it's pretty obvious it sat a lot. I always find the huge problems arise from not being used. Heck you could have even had a critter chew up wires.

In 2000 I bought a 12 year old Dodge Aries cheap that only had 34,000 actual miles. Fortunately is was cheap but I had to replace the brake lines, fuel lines, front crossmember, exhaust system, a lot of the engine gaskets and flush the engine (lubrication system) there was so much sludge build up from all the short trips.

In 1998, I bought a 1995 jeep cherokee cheap with over 200,000 miles. It was in far better condition, drove like new and needed no repairs.

Point is, Miles don't matter...

Kiddi j 01-09-2010 10:52 AM

No did not expect it to be brand new, ut expected to be able to drive it for more than 100 miles without a major breakdown.

I´m guessing a bad alternator. There is some bluff-stuff developing on the battery so it might be a short-circuit.

But thanks for the errogant answer ;)

22chrysler 01-09-2010 11:24 AM

See my signature... look in the mirror!!!!

the bluff stuff is called corrosion and it does NOT cause a short circuit. It will cause an unwanted high resistance and effect charging and starting issues. but keeping a battery clean is called MAINTENANCE!!!!

So instead of using a rational problem solving routine to determine that exact cause, you're just going to 'guess' and alternator? sounds great, good luck with that, you just might get lucky.

Kiddi j 01-09-2010 11:34 AM

Haha you are a funny guy.

I´m not going to work at it, just take it to the dealer and ask them to fix this the commercial law here in Iceland aknowledges my right as a buyer to get this fixed by seller.

I just guessed that problem after some reading on this and dodgeforum. Some people are talking about a common problem with a ground wire underneeth the battery in the T&C and Caravan. However i might take the battery out and check that common wire problem as soon as i get the car towed to my house.

Thanks.

p.s. : Not everyone is a mechanic.

22chrysler 01-09-2010 11:47 AM

I am not a mechanic either... If you owned an electrical test meter, you could do a lot of the analysis it's self... I'm sure glad I don't live in Iceland, you buy a used vehicle and the seller is required to fix it if anything fails? I assume that it only applies to a dealer selling a vehicle and not a private party? I suppose that's for the life of the vehicle. I thought Iceland was working on banning fossil fuels?

Kiddi j 01-09-2010 12:21 PM

Well even if it is a private seller you are entiteled damages if a seller (private) has sold you something which you have bought in good faith. If the sellers breach of contract is vast you can revoke the deal. Its like that in many contries where civil law is practiced.

Not heard any bannig of fuels. But Hydrogen developement is a big thing here now.

22chrysler 01-09-2010 01:11 PM

Wow, so if any thing ever happens to a used car you buy, no matter from whom, you can expect that it will get fixed by the seller... That is REDICULOUS. I sold a car to someone and 6 weeks later the transmission failed... so I'm liable to that repair according to your laws? How could the seller possibly predict there would be an electrical system problem? Who's to say that it wasn't something caused by you? So you expect the seller to pay for an alternator and a battery?!?!. Even if this had been a private party sale? I'm sure glad I don't live in your country!!!!

Kiddi j 01-10-2010 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by 22chrysler (Post 33709)
Wow, so if any thing ever happens to a used car you buy, no matter from whom, you can expect that it will get fixed by the seller... That is REDICULOUS. I sold a car to someone and 6 weeks later the transmission failed... so I'm liable to that repair according to your laws? How could the seller possibly predict there would be an electrical system problem? Who's to say that it wasn't something caused by you? So you expect the seller to pay for an alternator and a battery?!?!. Even if this had been a private party sale? I'm sure glad I don't live in your country!!!!

Mr. Polymathy

I´m not going to write for you a paragraph about the legal procedure in Civil Law countries, but obviously this is not the case.

A court would always look at all situations leading up to the moment of purchase f.e.; sellers duty to notify buyer about his knowledge on the automobile,buyers duty of inspection and situationas after the purchase...f.e. Lets say a buyer takes a mininvan straight to a race track and punishes it, a transmission failure occurs and the buyer haunts for damages. A court would probably disregard the buyers requisition in a case where that situation is conclusive.

Have a nice day.

And my problem was a bad battery. Thanks for your time.

22chrysler 01-10-2010 09:02 AM

So, your van started numerous times after you bought it and the battery went bad and you expect the seller to replace it because your countries laws require that it should have been known that it was bad prior to the sale... WOW your county is ****! I hope that with this attitude, you get yours on the sale of your old vehicle.:mad: