Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   2005 Chrysler Town and Country 3.8L 85k miles CEL P0016 P0344 (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/2005-chrysler-town-country-3-8l-85k-miles-cel-p0016-p0344-20313/)

umoms 08-27-2013 01:16 PM

2005 Chrysler Town and Country 3.8L 85k miles CEL P0016 P0344

I have a 2005 Chrysler Town and Country 3.8L with 85k miles and recently I got a check engine light with codes

P0344
P0344 CHRYSLER - Camshaft Position Sensor Intermittent Interruption Bank 1 Sensor 1

P0016

P0016 - Crankshaft Position Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 1 Sensor 'A'

so i changed both the Crankshaft Sensor and Camshaft sensor both from the dealer.

I noticed its hard to erase the codes sometimes, even with a professional scanner. Sometimes it takes a couple erases for it to erase. After driving the car for a few seconds the P0344 code comes on immediately. Sometimes i get both the P0344 and P0016 but even after erasing the code comes back immediately.

When driving the car bucks (usually between 2500-3000rpm) and when i release the gas and keep driving its fine again.

I'm reading online that it could also be the PCM? It may need to be reflashed/updated.

How many PCM's are on this van? I see some diagrams showing one on the top across from the fuse box next to the bumper and another one showing one behind the driver side wheel well.

What do you guys suggest? What else could it be? Should I shell out the money and have the PCM reflashed? If so which PCM ?

Thanks

Leedsman 08-27-2013 03:57 PM

When you got your erco indicating "Camshaft Position Sensor Intermittent Interruption Bank 1 Sensor 1", at once I thought bad terminals/wiring? Maybe these deserve an examination esp. if it's hot or dirty around them.

Leedsman.

JJSchwark 11-28-2013 03:45 AM

HI. I have 2005 T&C experienced similar problem a couple years ago. Here's what I found: The battery would occasionally leak water (which is obviously highly acidic), just from normal driving around, bouncing, etc. - incidentally was factory installed original battery - which would drip from the battery tray, and drop onto the large wiring harness - which ran from the positive lead of the battery, to the PCM, and elsewhere. Until I could get the harness replaced, I stripped out the deteriorated wiring insulation, clean thoroughly with baking soda and water, rinsed thoroughly, dried thoroughly, then applied some light grease, then re-taped the damaged insulation. After that, the problem immediately resolved, ceased to reoccur. (Don't forget to disconnect the battery terminal while inspecting/cleaning up your wiring harness.) The behavior of the car was almost unpredictable and inconsistent. - "just like a box of chocolates".

Good luck,

jjs

Leedsman 11-28-2013 05:13 AM

So it wasn't "hot and dirty" areas of the wiring, The cause of the problem was acid from the battery eating into the wiring where it had dripped. Never underestimate battery acid, it's around one third acid, rest water in a fully charged battery. I've seen old Bentleys where battery fumes had eaten away whole areas of the body around the battery. This was of course in the old days of "wet" batteries.
Jjschwark has provided a memorable contribution to getting a result for a problem hitherto difficult to diagnose with his chocolate-box fault.

Leedsman.

Raptor 07 11-29-2013 03:52 PM

3rd generation (96-00) PCMs are mounted to the driver's side fender wall outboard of the battery and fuse box (PDC) under the hood.

4th gen (01-07) PCMs are mounted forward behind the driver's side wheel well splash shield.

P0016 Crankshaft Camshaft Position Correlation DTC

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0345 345 vs 344 just hard fault vs intermittent - same symptoms, troubleshooting, possible causes.