Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering changing an engine in a T&C myself

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 08:13 AM
Default Considering changing an engine in a T&C myself

I was raised in my father's shop. I have not been involved in mechanics for 20 years. However, I can fix anything and still do my own maintenance on my vehicles

(Sometimes I consider my experience a curse, but when I get the estimate I say a few words and do it myself).

However, I no longer have the benefits of my father's shop and tools to do big jobs.

I have a 98 T&C that has been well maintained and I have the high probability of losing my job this year. So, I am doing everything to save cash. The van has 290,000 miles on it with the original engine, new alternator and battery, four new tires, an alignment,etc. The engine has had a knock for 150,000 miles and it is eating about a quart of oil per oil change. My Tranny has a lifetime warranty from Aamco, so I want to keep the vehicle.

I just got an engine with 83,000 miles on it for $500. I put new cables, plugs, belts, front/rear seals and water pump on it. It is ready to go. I got a quote from a local shop to do an R&R for $780 since I had everything ready.

However, I am considering going to Harbor Freight and getting a cherry picker and doing it myself. I have no garage but a solid driveway...

Does this one pull out from the top?
Any special tools?
Is there any advice?
How long should it take me?

OR should I part with the $780?...lol I am a tight wad

BTW - I have floor jacks and air equipment.