Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   2005 Voyager 2.8 crd engine dies while driving and chugs (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/2005-voyager-2-8-crd-engine-dies-while-driving-chugs-13406/)

Niallobyrne 01-11-2011 05:45 PM

2005 Voyager 2.8 crd engine dies while driving and chugs

Help Help help. My (automatic)Voyager stops while i am driving at maybe 40 or 50 KMH. I t is very scarey and i have to put it into N to restart i loose everything including steering? The car will run fine then starts chugging as if there is a block of fuel to the engine, i am not mechanicall minded and the local Chrysler garage, does not have a clue what to do...and advice would be greatly appreciated. The have checked on the computer and all comes back fine.Also sometime when i turn the ignition on all the needles shot to max and drop back down again, could allthis be connected.

Merlin 01-12-2011 02:48 PM

Dials doing a sweep is normally low battery voltage. It's impossible to say what the fault is without a code. I advise the dealer drives it and monitor the sensors when it does it.

Niallobyrne 01-13-2011 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Merlin (Post 44920)
Dials doing a sweep is normally low battery voltage. It's impossible to say what the fault is without a code. I advise the dealer drives it and monitor the sensors when it does it.

Merlin, Thank you for your reply. I will try to get some fault numbers from the mechanic

lookingforhelp2011 07-22-2011 07:13 AM

Hi Niallobyrne,

I read your post with interest, as my sister is having exactly the same problem with her 2006 2.8 Voyager. The car has been in and out of the garage who claim there is no problem. However I am finding a number of people now who claim their engine and steering is cutting out. I am currently taking this up with chrysler/FIAT directly and potentially with the papers. Could you please message me with your name, contact details and story too as the more of us there are the more proof we have that there is a real problem and we can stop getting fobbed off by chrysler. thanks

Niallobyrne 07-24-2011 04:53 PM

Chrysler problems

I have solved the problem...after spending abot €2k on unrelated issues. Is your sisters car a right hand drive like mine? If yoes the problem is the main wiring loom. Because the car is made in left hand drive for the states, they have obviously move the steering wheel to the right side for Ireland and Uk.

They clowns in Chrysler brought the main loom accross the enigine just below the windshield, over time this loosens with vibration and the loom rubs against the body of the car. This wares through the rubber protection and exposes the wiring loom.

If the have to competely replace the loom (it has 300 wires) it can cost up to €150. but in my case it was the top wire that was rubbing against another and shorting out. so it ONLY cost €450. Problem was solved and the car (touch wood) has been running superbly ever since. The fault will never show on any computer, because it only happens when the car is driving.
I hope this is of some help to you my mail is niall_obyrne@hotmail.com I am i Naas, Kildare.