Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   2006 T&C transmission issue @ 1,500 rpm (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/2006-t-c-transmission-issue-%40-1-500-rpm-16629/)

bikpdlr 01-18-2012 05:27 PM

2006 T&C transmission issue @ 1,500 rpm

I apologize if this has been asked before and want to say thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

My 2006 T&C Touring with 105k miles has light "acceleration/deceleration" surges (i.e. a sputter) that are felt at 1,500 rpm and at speeds between 45-55 mph. The engine rpm is not fluctuating ... this is something that you can feel though.

It's only felt when the gas pedal floats between a call for acceleration and deceleration.

In other words, this is not felt when decelerating. It is also not felt during light or heavy acceleration. The engine and transmission run super smooth at most any speed above 55 mph. Currently, gas mileage is great at 23+ hwy/18+ city.

Honestly, I can't say for sure whether its the engine or transmission. My local mechanic hasn't driven it yet, but over the phone says that engine misfires would best be felt in the lowest gear at that rpm and speed. He also believes it could be a servo switching into and out of overdrive.

The vehicle has had two transmission backflushes (@ 32k and 90k) and I also had the filter replaced during the 90k visit at our local Chrysler dealer.

Around 60k I also had the dealer do a fuel system flush that was supposed to make the engine run smooth and it has up to this point.

Last spring, I had the plugs, wires and both O2 sensors replaced hoping to eek out a few more mpgs before a road trip to the beach.

We were fully loaded on the inside with a family of 6, a cargo box on top, and air-conditioning almost the whole way. Our drive to coast was mostly flat and we managed 24+ mpg just after the tune-up back. Engine and transmission have been smooth running afterwards.

We've been experiencing this "sputter" issue for 4 to 6 months now ... so this came on 4 to 5 months AFTER the engine tune-up and 15k miles after the transmission flush/filter change.

Sorry for the long description ... thanks again.

Chris Tompkins
Danville, VA

ChryslerCares 01-19-2012 02:03 PM

Is the engine a 3.3L or 3.8L? Does this happen all the time or when loaded with passengers / cargo

Sounds like the transmission is "searching" for the proper gear (most likely overdrive)

No TSB's listed for an issue as described.

TNtech 01-19-2012 04:48 PM

It's only felt when the gas pedal floats between a call for acceleration and deceleration.

felt at 1,500 rpm and at speeds between 45-55 mph.

Well, it reads like a torque converter shudder. Who did the service and what type of service did they do? What type of fluid did they use?

DR KEN 4 01-26-2012 08:44 PM

Hello, a fairly new member. Did a search and found this thread. I believe I have the same problem so would like to see what some answers may be. Mine is a T&C 2005 with the 3.8 and 92000. I notice some shutter and a small jerk every few seconds when driving about 35-50 and using a steady throttle such as cruising through a small town. The torque converter keeps kicking in and out and you can see the fluctuations on the tac. The 5 star Chrysler Mechanic nearby has been very good to me with my old Caravan had a suggestion from experience. He called it a "busy transmission" at those speeds and feels its the converter on its way out. He claims hes not had many transmission problems with the 05-07 years but has had several with converter issues. He suggested to keep driving unless it gets worse as it could cause a transmission failure from TC shavings. We notice no problems at highway speeds and being warm or cold makes no difference. I had the fluid changed but its no better or worse. Quote of about $800 for a new TC which sounds better then a $3000 transmission. The van is in excellent shape otherwise esp. since it came from FLA and I just bought it. Maybe someone has an opinion? Thank-you in advance! Dwk

TNtech 01-27-2012 10:22 AM

Well, the simple answer is...the longer you run the trans with a shudder the more stress it puts on the hard parts of the transmission and on the flexplate. Something will eventually give. Not a good idea to keep running it that way. Changing the fluid early on when the symptoms start showing up CAN be helpful, but it does not always work out that way.

pestilance 01-27-2012 12:14 PM

if its at 1500 rpm and basicly when coasting throttle,i would be more inclined to look at the tps(thottle position sensor)

DR KEN 4 01-28-2012 08:03 PM

I use mainly highway miles so I don't notice it except in a few small towns. The transmission seems solid. Others may know of the reliability of these newer transmissions compared to pre-2001 Would it be worth it to just replace the Torque convertor? Are they capable of 200000 if they were maintained and seen mainly highway?

My 1999 with the 3.3 gave me 218000 before the transmission quit but I don't know how this (new to me) 2005 T&C was maintained. From the looks of it inside and out it looks like it was well cared for and garaged. The trans fluid was nice and red when I bought it and when I had it changed he found no metal of any kind in the pan. I can tell this 05 is geared for economy compared to my 99. I'm not a fan of the ratio in this transmission around town but I like the lower RPM at highway speeds.

DR KEN 4 02-16-2012 11:00 AM

An update: I had to replace the Torque Convertor as it was determined bad. He updated all the trans. software and fresh fluids. Sticker price for all including tax: $1065.00.