Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   2007 grand voyager flat battery after 24hr (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/2007-grand-voyager-flat-battery-after-24hr-16954/)

Adrian 02-29-2012 04:22 AM

2007 grand voyager flat battery after 24hr

Hi there, I have a 2007 grand voyager and the battery goes flat after 24hrs. The battery was replaced Nov 2011. This problem has been occuring over the last 4 weeks. The battery has a constant draw of 1.3amps on it. The auto tech has checked the altenator, air con and a number of other checks. the data loop has a draw of 0.1amps and turned off after 5mins.
There are no lights, ignition or accessories on as well.
Please help
Thanks Adrian
Australia

Raptor 07 02-29-2012 02:06 PM

Ya, 1.3 amps is way to high. Looking for around 50 millliamps or less. Did the tech pull fuses while watching the meter?

http://www.ricksfreeautorepairadvice...-battery-drain

Adrian 03-01-2012 03:17 PM

Thanks for your help. Yes he has pulled the fuses, yesterday he found fuse IOD was drawing excessive amps when pulled. Still checking today. thanks

TNtech 03-01-2012 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Adrian (Post 59330)
Thanks for your help. Yes he has pulled the fuses, yesterday he found fuse IOD was drawing excessive amps when pulled. Still checking today. thanks

Remind your tech that on some of the fuses, especially the IOD, when he plugs it back in, it wakes up the BUS and you have to start over again.

QinteQ 03-01-2012 05:27 PM

I thought the BUS was still active for 15 minutes after you think its asleep. After everything is locked and alarmed and you walk away .. .. but the car is still checking for issues. Eventually if - after a quarter of an hour no one returns it will only then go to sleep.

For example if you deliberately leave on one rear cabin interior light, lock up and alarm etc and watch the car .. .. it will wait 15 minutes before it switches off the interior light for you.

The best crude way I know of reading the true activity is to (1) tape up the bonnet / hood switch and (2) read before and after 20 minutes with the IOD in place, then (3) do the same with the IOD completely pulled. Do it that way and you will get very different results before and after the 15 minute period.

Raptor 07 03-01-2012 11:15 PM

I cringe when I read it but some disconnect the battery then hold the cables together to discharge any residual power.

QinteQ 03-02-2012 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Raptor 07 (Post 59345)
I cringe when I read it but some disconnect the battery then hold the cables together to discharge any residual power.

- who do you know that did that ?

TNtech 03-02-2012 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Raptor 07 (Post 59345)

Originally Posted by QinteQ (Post 59351)

It's called a capacitive discharge. It wipes out all the learned memory in all the modules and can sometimes cure a module that has locked itself down in sleep mode.

QinteQ 03-02-2012 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by TNtech (Post 59357)
It's called a capacitive discharge. It wipes out all the learned memory in all the modules and can sometimes cure a module that has locked itself down in sleep mode.

- thanks for the clarity TNtech, I tried [no success] to do [FCD] just exactly that
- I assumed Raptor 07 was referencing this thread in general, and myself in the particular
- I also assumed Raptor 07 meant it in a none adversarial, tongue~in~cheek, joking way :D

Raptor 07 03-02-2012 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by QinteQ (Post 59351)

Simply read it several times over 8 years of cruising forums. Wasn't aware of your other thread. It was a general statement for all and not necessarily intended for your exact situation. I will be clearer next time. No personal inference intended there QinteQ.

I've asked Chrysler techs if that is accepted practice and was told yes. My fear is any break between them, for instance slapping them together and they bounce apart even a micron, could create an arc and voltage surge and trash a microprocessor in a module. Working avionics in the AF, I've seen similar happen. May be one of those moves that works just fine a hundred times but then bites you. I'm a patient man. I'll wait the 15 minutes. Dealership and shop techs on a clock probably don't have that option. Sounds like a useful last resort option in the case of a module "locked in sleep mode".