Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 T&C transmission/shifting issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 09:42 PM

Yes. Problem solved. So far so good!

Old 11-23-2016, 04:28 PM

Glad to hear the PCM fixed your problem! My Pacifica stopped doing this for the past 2 weeks now which makes me think that it's probably not the solenoid pack, but I still can't rule it out. I'm sure the issue will return and when it does I'll probably have a look at the PCM first. According to the diagnostic procedure in the service manual it could be faulty wiring at the PCM which is located just behind the driver side wheel well. A dumb place to position a computer that runs the whole vehicle in my opinion with the potential to get wet should the plastic splash guard crack. Here in NY it could get mauled with road salt. What the hell were they smoking when they designed this??

Old 03-08-2017, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by StratLou
Yes. Problem solved. So far so good!
StratLou...just curious if your Pacifica has been symptom free after the PCM replacement? I have been having code P084B "Pressure Switch Rationality" off and on for a while now. I've also started noticing an intermittent whooshing sound in gears 1-4 depending on the rpm's, did you happen to notice any whooshing with yours? The whooshing would lead me to think it might be the solenoid and not the PCM, but the PCM could be causing the solenoid to behave in this manner. Anyways I'm looking to try the most cost effective solution first.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by jbakaj
StratLou...just curious if your Pacifica has been symptom free after the PCM replacement? I have been having code P084B "Pressure Switch Rationality" off and on for a while now. I've also started noticing an intermittent whooshing sound in gears 1-4 depending on the rpm's, did you happen to notice any whooshing with yours? The whooshing would lead me to think it might be the solenoid and not the PCM, but the PCM could be causing the solenoid to behave in this manner. Anyways I'm looking to try the most cost effective solution first.
Just to add my 2 cents here that may help you decide what to do first, I have a friend who owns a chrysler service center. He helped me research this issue and looked up how many people resolved the issue with what on one of their "pay" websites. It appeared that 90% of all vehicles with the P083B code was resolved by replacing the solenoid pack which is a $265 part from the dealer..It's not a terribly complicated procedure if you're a DIY guy. I never heard any of the sounds you describe with my pacifica..I never got to resolve my transmission issue because my wife decided to total the vehicle before I could do it..Good luck with it..

Old 03-10-2017, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by grbullets
Just to add my 2 cents here that may help you decide what to do first, I have a friend who owns a chrysler service center. He helped me research this issue and looked up how many people resolved the issue with what on one of their "pay" websites. It appeared that 90% of all vehicles with the P083B code was resolved by replacing the solenoid pack which is a $265 part from the dealer..It's not a terribly complicated procedure if you're a DIY guy. I never heard any of the sounds you describe with my pacifica..I never got to resolve my transmission issue because my wife decided to total the vehicle before I could do it..Good luck with it..
Thanks for the response, any and all thoughts are welcome. My hope is to rectify the issue in one shot if possible. The code I have is P084b, but after doing some research the only difference I could find between P083b and P084b is which switch on the solenoid. I was leaning towards replacing the solenoid pack first like you suggested. I read somewhere that there is a very specific science in replacing the solenoid so the as not to upset the computer, but of course I can't find those instructions now. As far as the whooshing, it was down a quart of oil last night, filled it up and it is now sounding closer to "normal". I did a search for tapping valves and found an article about camshaft pins shearing off...supposedly a "common" occurrence with the 4.0L engine. Hopefully I can scrounge some money for the solenoid and when I get it replaced I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks again for the help

Old 03-10-2017, 11:08 PM

Hey. Yes, our T&C has been symptom free of this problem since replacement of the PCM. What symptom(s) is your tranny currently exhibiting when the code is present (or in general)?

Old 03-11-2017, 09:16 PM

Thanks for the response, any and all thoughts are welcome. My hope is to rectify the issue in one shot if possible. The code I have is P084b, but after doing some research the only difference I could find between P083b and P084b is which switch on the solenoid. I was leaning towards replacing the solenoid pack first like you suggested. I read somewhere that there is a very specific science in replacing the solenoid so the as not to upset the computer, but of course I can't find those instructions now. As far as the whooshing, it was down a quart of oil last night, filled it up and it is now sounding closer to "normal". I did a search for tapping valves and found an article about camshaft pins shearing off...supposedly a "common" occurrence with the 4.0L engine. Hopefully I can scrounge some money for the solenoid and when I get it replaced I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks again for the help
Well good luck with it. I have the 4 phone book size factory repair manual for the 08, and from what I read in the transmission section to replace the solenoid pack, I didn't read anything that sounded very complicated..Pretty straight forward..Look on ebay, you might be able to get a PDF fairly cheap of the trans manual that will help you do it yourself..Anyway, glad you found the whoosh problem. It seems that all pacifica's no matter what year or engine they all use oil slowly but surely...Keep an eye on it between changes..Good luck with the trans...

Old 03-16-2017, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by StratLou
Hey. Yes, our T&C has been symptom free of this problem since replacement of the PCM. What symptom(s) is your tranny currently exhibiting when the code is present (or in general)?
Sorry for taking a while to respond. Currently the code is just pending and the tranny is not currently acting up. It occasionally has hard and clunky shifts but it's always done that. When the code gets thrown, it's usually on a hot day and goes into limp mode (P/R/N and 3rd gear only). The last time it happened (summer of 2016) we were driving through Pittsburgh on a Saturday afternoon. Luckily we were only 2 miles from our destination. When we left 3 hours later the code was thrown but i had full functionality of the forward gears. I stopped and got a dipstick from Advance (because Chrysler couldn't afford to supply one) and the tranny fluid was at about the correct level. I recently got a code reader and, if I'm not mistaken, there is a readout for the solenoid port voltages and one was reading abnormal. So I'm thinking one for ports on the solenoid is wide open, but without having the time to take it off and test it I'm not sure. Maybe when it gets warmer out and I get some extra $$ I'll swap it out. But to drop $200+ in something that may not fix the problem get's me anxious.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:46 AM

Sorry for taking a while to respond. Currently the code is just pending and the tranny is not currently acting up. It occasionally has hard and clunky shifts but it's always done that. When the code gets thrown, it's usually on a hot day and goes into limp mode (P/R/N and 3rd gear only). The last time it happened (summer of 2016) we were driving through Pittsburgh on a Saturday afternoon. Luckily we were only 2 miles from our destination. When we left 3 hours later the code was thrown but i had full functionality of the forward gears. I stopped and got a dipstick from Advance (because Chrysler couldn't afford to supply one) and the tranny fluid was at about the correct level. I recently got a code reader and, if I'm not mistaken, there is a readout for the solenoid port voltages and one was reading abnormal. So I'm thinking one for ports on the solenoid is wide open, but without having the time to take it off and test it I'm not sure. Maybe when it gets warmer out and I get some extra $$ I'll swap it out. But to drop $200+ in something that may not fix the problem get's me anxious.
Well hopefully that will be your exact and only problem and when you effect the repair, you can be done with it. And hopefully it won't be like what happened to us in that the code gave the dealer the possibility of either solenoid, pcm, etc. and they chose the lesser cost route which turned out NOT to be the problem and we wound up changing the pcm in the end! All roads, for us, led back to the pcm. Keep us informed.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:02 PM

Well if you can believe it, this incredibly stupid, expensive in the past, problem has reared it's ugly head again after 1 yr, 9 months, and 27,000 mi of driving. LIMP MODE shifting is back! The dash engine light came on so checked the code(s) and am showing P0760 AGAIN, as happened the prior time in 2016. Shift Solenoid "C" and OD solenoid control circuit were the code descriptions in my reader. Are there any simple, easy tests I can perform to test this circuit before I head back to the dealer with it (if we don't find a cliff to push the van over first!)? Thanks for any thoughts please. It comes at a really bad time as well, of course. Unbelievable.

Quick Reply: 2008 T&C transmission/shifting issue