Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

voyager 2.8d electrical probs

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Default voyager 2.8d electrical probs

need help i own a voyager 2.8 diesel auto2004 and have many electrical problems. the battery kept going flat had it replaced by chrysler was ok for a while but started going flat again, when i turn the key in the ignition all the needles (temp, fuel, speedo, rev)on the dash sweep round and back before the light all come on not everytime, also every now and then i will not get sound from the stereo i have to stop and start the car for it to work, the power door locks stopped working for a couple of months but when the battery went flat and i jump started it the locks worked again the battery goes flat when the car is not started for 3 or 4 days could someone help as chrysler was unable to find anything wrong when they check it on there computer.

thanks john

Old 09-16-2008, 11:44 PM
EKJ
Default RE: voyager 2.8d electrical probs

Hi,

It seems that Chrysler have a problem that they cant solve...we thought we had a fuel problem but after Chrysler had the vehicle for 2 weeks in the repair shop they concluded we had a battery problem and replaced the recommended battery they told us to use with a mopar battery.

She is running fine for the moment.

It seems that not even Chrysler knows what the solution is.

Regards

Old 09-17-2008, 02:27 AM

Hi Do you have an RB3 sat nav radio these are a known problem also the dvd over head screen can stay active. I have seen Chrysler good will cover a replacement of the original battery with a merc one that have fixed a lot of issues when the dealer can’t find a fault. Have they done a battery drain test? Should be around 0.03 of and amp. Also is the charging ok? The alternator pulleys have a one way clutch and can break up and so affect the charging.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:52 PM

Hi John

I have been having the same fault with my minivan not starting, first signs are all the needles (temp, fuel, Speedo, rev)on the dash sweep round and back before the ignition lights all come on ect and then no starting when this first happened about a year ago I called the AA for a home start they tested several things before jumpstarting the minivan obviously the battery was below requirement to start the minivan after the minivan was started and running he tested that the battery was charging via the minivans charging system then after about ten minutes we turned the ignition off and tried to restart the minivan it did try for a few turns but the just the same this the led the AA chap to check the voltage on a wire that he disconnected from below the starter motor this wire was a smallish yellow wire not the heavy gauge red wire this wire was supposed to have 12v on it and it did. he then reconnected the connector to its terminal under the starter motor and then just like that it was working again since then it has happen twice first time I gave it a little wiggle and that was fine until yesterday I went to pull the female spade connector off and then push it on again and the female spade connector broke, on close examination I appeared that it was very electrically corroded I have now replaced the connector and recharged my battery I purchased a pack connectors from halfords it was a bit tricky attaching it onto the wire as it is no very long so. far no problems the minivan starts fine.

Hopes this is of help

Regards Peter

Old 09-23-2008, 04:57 AM

Hi John

oh ment to say my minivan is a 54 reg 2.8d stow & go and i also had the battery changed at chrysler dealership when this first happend about 11 months ago the AA followed me to the garage.
Hopes this is of help

Regards Peter

Old 10-02-2008, 01:57 PM

Hi had battery checked by a mechanic and he told me my alternator wasnt charging and need to replace it. could someone tell me what i set my meterat to test it myself my meter has DCV 200m, 2000m, 20, 200, and 1000 in red, also when i try to start the car i get a clicking from the steering colum and the engine wont turn over all electrics still work ok but it wont start till i jump it.

Thanks for all your help

Old 10-03-2008, 02:43 PM

The clicking is the starter and expected with a flat battery. Engine running you want over 13 volts but like I said above it could be the pulley and not the alternator.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:04 PM

Hi all I have a 2.8 ltd crdGrand Voyager 2005 19k miles,with the same battery problem you describe,original battery replaced by chrysler under warranty with a mopar one.been ok for a while, but 1st week october this one went flat. ( not even cold weather ?)
Had this battery tested and alternater tested for charging Both O.K.
I was only doing short trips, so maybe not long enough to replace what starig took out ?
BUT i really think something is draining battery when all is swicthed off.
(suspect chrsyler know this)

Old 10-14-2008, 03:23 PM

Hi
When you did a battery and alternator test did you also do a battery drain test? you want under 0.03 amps any more is too high. Need to lock it up (with the hood switch disconnect or held down so it thinks it is shut) and wait for the car to go to sleep can take 30 minutes then test the drain.
If you knock the doorcatchover with a screw driver so it thinks the door is closed and press the lock button 4 times so intrusion detection is turn off go in to the car and just pull down on the DVD screen and see if it lights up, have seen some where this can stay powered.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:36 AM

Hi all

Mine started to play up again as soon as the weather got colder end of October so back it went to Chrysler dealership for testing the Results were charging system ok, wiring ok and battery drain test ok no faults found..!!! That’s the official version. privately the Chrysler technician who has worked on my car and previous three voyagers and who has got to know me recommended that a bigger battery is recommended and that the Mopar/Red top 12 volt 48ah 800 amp space saver batteries are not up to the job for the 2.8 diesel and that the earlier 2.5L diesel model engines were fitted with a battery with more capacity typically 12volt 99ah 800amp.

So I have upgraded the battery on the 3rd November 2008 to a VARTA Silver Dynamic type E44 which is 12Volt 77ah 780 amp the battery terminals were opposite ends and the length was 3 millimetres longer than the battery tray but this was the closest bigger capacity battery to the original battery dimensions that could be fitted.

I removed the battery tray and filed the lip facing the front of the car so as to fit the new battery I also extended the negative battery cable as well as the two 30 amp smaller negative cables by 9 inches so as not to stretch the original and run it under the battery tray I also replaced the negative terminal cable clamp and fitted the battery so far the car with new battery is performing faultlessly 4 January 2009 average Dailey mileage 14-20 miles a day with 2 short journeys approx 1 mile each time with headlights on and lately temperatures -4 degrees cold starting I have kept my Mopar /Redtop battery which is less than a year old as a backup, jumper battery I don’t believe in throwing away a battery that is ok but not adequate I live in the UK I thank the company that supplied me the battery http://www.barden-uk.com/ price £110 next day delivered and also my local Auto electrical centre that supplied me the additional heavy duty negative battery cable and 30amp smaller cable AUTOELECTRIX in Swindon.

Regards
Peter

Quick Reply: voyager 2.8d electrical probs