Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   2010 Chrysler Town and Country TIPM (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/2010-chrysler-town-country-tipm-16614/)

davalt75 01-16-2012 08:22 PM

2010 Chrysler Town and Country TIPM

I've got a 2010 Town and Country that I've been having headlight problems with, namely the headlights going out unpredictably and not coming back on until they feel like it. After much digging around on the internet, including this forum, I've read a lot of posts about older models having similar problems, but nothing about the 2010. I finally broke down and went to Ask.com. You have to pay to ask a (supposedly) certified Chrysler Tech to diagnose the problem. Anyway, the guy seemed knowledgeable enough, and said he thought it sounded like the Totally Integrated Power Module, and that they go bad and cause this problem all the time, though he hasn't changed one as new as mine. Just wondering if anybody has had a similar experience and how much it costs. Sounds expensive. Ofcourse cost is secondary to safety, but I don't have a lot of money to throw at the problem.

kdm3170 01-16-2012 09:58 PM

havent had that problem on an 02 t/c but u can always try having it reprogrammed instead of replacing it

Raptor 07 01-16-2012 10:06 PM

No specific experience but here's some info. On older models the Front Control Module (FCM) bolted to the front of the fuse box (IPM) was the controller for headlights. They would give people fits causing exactly what you are experiencing. The fix was to remove the FCM and clean the contacts or bend the larger spade contacts to make a better connection. Looking at my wiring diagrams it appears in 2008 they integrated the IPM and the FCM into one box and called it the TIPM. What your Tech told you makes sense. Unfortunately, the mentioned fix isn't an option on your van. You could try a shake test on the connections and the TIPM. Could even disconnect the plugs and inspect for corrosion. Disconnect the battery first. I saw recently a new TIPM for a 2008 costs around $300. I would imagine your 2010 will be close to that.

Rustydog 01-17-2012 09:34 PM

I am courious as to where the TIPM is located. My low beams are much less than desirable I have suspected that there is a voltage drop somewhere. My high beams are fine but the lows are poor. I was going to replace the H11 bulbs with a brighter bulb but if the voltage is low I am wasting my money.

Raptor 07 01-18-2012 02:21 AM

Under the hood, drivers side. Check your manual. It's the fuse box.

ChryslerCares 01-19-2012 02:48 PM

All of the electrical current distributed throughout this vehicle is directed through the standard equipment Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM). The molded plastic TIPM housing is located on the left side of the engine compartment. The TIPM housing has a molded plastic cover. The TIPM cover is easily removed for service access and has a convenient fuse layout label affixed to the inside surface of the cover to ensure proper component identification.

The TIPM housing is secured to the TIPM mounting bracket by four clips integral to the TIPM housing. All of the TIPM outputs are through the integral engine compartment wire harness.

All of the current to the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) comes directly from the positive battery cable to a stud located on the bottom of the TIPM. The cable is secured to the TIPM stud with a nut. Internal connection of all the TIPM circuits is accomplished by an intricate network of hard wiring and bus bars.

The fuses, relays and TIPM housing assembly are available for service replacement.

davalt75 01-24-2012 07:56 AM

Ok, so the problem is definitely the TIPM. Took it in to the dealership and they said it is shorted out and needs to be replaced. Well, there's bad news and then there's more bad news. The first piece of bad news is parts and labor come out to just over $850.00! Holy Toledo! Then he tells me that he'll have to put me on the list b/c it's back ordered. He said I would be number 11. That's right, there are 10 other people just in the town I live in needing their TIPM replaced. So I got online and started looking and everywhere I looked online is back ordered. I called 8 different dealerships in 7 different states, and they all told me the same thing. Chrysler has 300 of these on back order to dealerships all across the U.S. and none in process. One guy told me he waited 3 months for one. So Chrysler definitely has a problem with The TIPM and they definitely know about it. We really like our Town and Country. It's a really nice van. But if I had done as much research before I bought it as I have done since I bought it, I may have made a different choice in vehicles.

TNtech 01-24-2012 09:22 AM

Not 11 in your TOWN, 11 in the ZONE. Our zone is all or part of 5 states. I would be willing to bet half of those other 10 are misdiagnosed. Backorder is the new economy my friend. I tried to order some shirts from a well known work clothing manufacturer last week. The color I wanted is on.....BACKORDER!!! lolz

davalt75 01-25-2012 05:13 AM

Ok, I didn't know about the zones. The guy at the dealership sounded like he had 10 people ahead of me just for his garage. And you have a point about the economy. I could understand a few or even several being on backorder, but 300!! You may also be right about some of them being misdiagnosed, I wouldn't have any way of knowing. It would seem to me though that there are at least 300 other Chrysler owners out there having some sort of electrical problems with their vehicles.

Rustydog 01-25-2012 11:44 AM

There are companys that rebuild automotive electronic modules, computers, ABS modules, dash modules ect. It might be worth while to check around.