Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   2011 T&C Wind Noise (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/2011-t-c-wind-noise-17585/)

WCaldwell 05-20-2012 04:32 PM

2011 T&C Wind Noise

I've noticed really loud wind noise when driving home from work. We normally drive at 70 mph with the cruise control set. Several times we've encountered 30 - 50 mph head or cross-winds and get a loud moan from the passenger-front windshield/exterior mirror area. I'm wondering if it's something to do with the way the mirror is designed & assembled that allows the wind to flow through the mirror joints.

Has anyone else encountered this situation and, if you have, what was your solution?

Wayne

TNtech 05-20-2012 08:13 PM

It's a box. High opposing winds will do that.

WCaldwell 05-20-2012 09:50 PM

Could be. My only arguement is that I also have a '98 Dodge Ram 2500 long-bed with bed-cap - also a box. No wind moans.

TNtech 05-20-2012 11:02 PM

Try folding the mirrors in and rule those out. Also, if you have the luggage rack there should be some marks where you place them to reduce wind drag. If you're really intent on knowing the source you can get some body masking tape and start covering up cracks/seams and what-not.

WCaldwell 12-03-2012 09:02 PM

As you can see from my first post, this started this past April. It occurs when driving at about 70 mph (my normal highway cruising speed) with a strong headwind (coming directly into the front of the van) or across the windshield (from left to right). I've taken the van to the Dealer (Larry H. Miller Chrysler in Albuquerque) five times (counting today) for this defect. In order to isolate the noise location, I started with black electrical tape on the passenger mirror joints on a windy day driving home. This didn't stop the noise. I removed the tape and put it on the seam of the windshield glass and the black plastic trim on the passenger side of the windshield (since this area is where the noise is). This didn't stop the noise. I then removed the tape and moved it slightly outboard - covering the black plastic trim and onto the painted A pillar (there is a small gap between these two). NO NOISE!!!

I took the van back to LHM and explained to the service writer the problem and the solution I found. They re-adjusted the passenger door. Didn't fix the problem. I took it back (I don't remember what they did this time). Didn't fix the problem. I took it back and LHM had the windshield removed and resealed. Didn't fix the problem. Now it's back for the 5th time for this problem (in addition to a constant B pillar rattle since day one that they've tried to fix). In their defense, the only time we hear this is on a windy day as described above. So today, not being a windy day, they would never hear the moan. (But we've made about a 30-second recording of this noise).

If it wasn't for the fact that I didn't purchase a 2011 T&C for umpteen thousand dollars, I might settle to keep the electrical tape
over the gap. But it needs to be fixed - correctly. If not fixed this time, District service manager and then Chrysler Corp is next.

Any other suggestions/advice?

Wayne

georgef 12-03-2012 10:09 PM

WCaldwell,

I had a similar problem with my 09 Caravan (more of a whistle than a moan), it was coming from the inside seal between the front passenger side window and the door. The wind was entering the front of the door and going through the gap between the seal and window. It was at its worst if there was a cross wind.

See if the sound changes or goes away if someone presses on the seal or places a rag over the area.

Since I was out of warranty I fixed it myself by rolling down the window, removing the plastic cover, pulling the seal off out of the door channel in the affected area, and bending the inner wall of the channel outward slightly, so the seal pressed tighter against the window.

See the picture below:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-9...w%2520seal.jpg

George

georgef 12-05-2012 04:54 PM

There was a TSB (23-023-08) for the 2008 vans that addressed an issue that sounds just like yours:

The customer may experience a whistle, honk or howl sound from the A-Pillar area or windshield area of A-Pillar on either side of the vehicle. A combination of high ambient temperatures above 32°C (90°F), high driving speeds 112 Kph (70 Mph) or higher and cross winds are required to make this sound occur. The condition may be intermittent or can be continuous when the conditions are met.

An outer lip seal on the windshield moulding that contacts the A-Pillar may vibrate and cause this sound.
Your van may have a different seal design, but it may be worth a look.

Here's a link to the TSB, including the repair procedure:
http://www.braunlift.com/productinfo...-1-Whistle.pdf

George

georgef 12-05-2012 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by WCaldwell (Post 66534)
... Now it's back for the 5th time for this problem (in addition to a constant B pillar rattle since day one that they've tried to fix) ...

WCaldwell,

The rattle may be coming from the sliding door latch, if it is, it can be stopped by wrapping the door striker with electrical tape. See this post on another forum for more details: rattling in power doors.

George