Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 TIPM Failure: 3 Replacement TIPMS Defective

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 11:41 AM

workshop manuals, they are almost impossible to find particularly the diesel,for those in the UK.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:09 PM

Someone please help:

* Stayed at the Dealership for 6 hours today. Took possession of the car without it being fixed. The dealership has no idea why the lower taillights are not receiving power when the brake pedal is pushed, but "work" when the Key-Fob is used to open the side doors.

Thx Jim.

PS: if you know or have an idea and want to call, please PM me and I'll give you a call.

Update: Total time at Dealer 9 hours. Official Dealer Diagnosis: The TIPM is bad and needs to be replaced. I would actually agree with this, as the car "never" ran that same after initial replacement, and began throwing codes, all aforementioned behavior, etc.

Last edited by jimwoodward; 06-30-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:27 PM

Update: I believe the TIPM installation is clean. And I have resolved the following observation:

Assessment: The car will surge up/down, hunt, fluctuate, at idle, for 30-45 seconds when cold, or approximately 30 minutes or so since last driven.

When I disconnect the battery and clear the capacitors, the car will start "perfectly". I let the car warm up for 15 minutes, test drove - total perfection.

An hour later, the car "behaves" just like before, hunting/surging/ at idle. Here is my suspicion:

I suspect that somehow, the car is "forgetting" the throttle calibration, and needs these 30-45 seconds to relearn the idle characteristics.

Any thoughts? ????
Thanks,
Jim

Old 12-27-2018, 07:58 PM

Reading your journey makes me want to cry because I feel like this is what I'm in for. I'm regretting my decision of purchasing my T&C. It's crazy that they don't issue a recall and fix it.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by CKDMommy
Reading your journey makes me want to cry because I feel like this is what I'm in for. I'm regretting my decision of purchasing my T&C. It's crazy that they don't issue a recall and fix it.
Hi - my final observation and efforts in the matter. Believing the motor warm up throttle up/down behavior is intentional and directed by the system for whatever reason - I went ahead and replaced the Throttle Body in hopes that the new electronic butterfly would cure the lost calibration. Although car ran better, it did not fix the issue.

About 4 weeks ago the drivers side window regulator broke, and required replacement. Because if this, and unknown future risk due to further electronic failure, I traded in the car.

Here is my final summary: the car was PERFECT until the fuel pump relay went Bad and vehicle entered “crank no start condition.”

1. Mistake by me was to take to a trusted local repair man - I should have taken it to the dealership.

Here is is what I believed happened as I was in close touch with the shop during all initial efforts to resolve. The original mechanic repinned variius cinnectors, and the shop brought in an “expert” to overwrite the cars softwares. After no avail, I still had to take the car to the dealership to have the connectors repinned to work with the new TIPM.

After this all other noted bizarre behavior emanated. Then, the brake tail lights stayed “on”, and this requires a third TIPM to be installed by dealership, but they never fixed throttle issues at warm up.

Lesson: these cars need to go to the dealership when issues arise, unless you are very certain how to fix it. If any doubt at all - dealership it.

The reason is that you need all the leverage you can get when investing in the repair, and cost of these parts can over power your local shop persons best intentions. At least the dealership has more test equipment and purchasing power to correct.

Jim

Last edited by jimwoodward; 12-27-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:14 PM
Default Fuel Sensor Relay Bypass Solution

I wanted to share a solution I found for the ongoing problem with not only the Chrylser T & C but several other models of Dodges and Jeeps. I recently needed to buy a used T & C for my wife and I found a 2011 that was in excellent condition but only listed for $8200, well below market value. In the listing the lady selling it said it was having starting and staying running problems. Now I knew why it was below market value and she had not gotten any offers on it either. This is a red flag I know and generally I would have run away but I was curious as to why. It only had 83,000 miles on it and she had replaced the alternator, fuel pump, battery, and ignition system with a new key fob. All done by the local Chrysler dealership in Decatur Alabama. So, all this didn't fix the problem, they then said its the TIPM and it needs to be replaced for $1300, which they couldn't afford after doing all this other work. They just wanted the van gone! After doing research online for I found out about the fuel sensor problem many people were experiencing in all these vehicles and Chrysler wasn't issuing a massive recall. Just fixing other stuff on the vehicle to make money on unnecessary repairs! I scrolled through a couple of pages in the search and found a company called Vertical Visions. http://www.verticalvisions.com/ They have a patented part that solves the fuel relay problem without replacing the whole TIPM. It's a part for $59 that plugs into the TIPM. I bought it, took it when I went to look at the van and installed it in less than 5 minutes. The van started right up shocking the lady, who said it hasn't cranked up like that in months. I decided to wait another week before making an offer on it to see if the part continued to work. I even asked her if she would like to pay me for the part and keep the van now but she didn't. We bought it and its still running perfectly 3 weeks later. I'll bet Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep all know about this fix and they are choosing not to share it. I just wanted to get the word out to help keep what happened to this lady from continuing to happen. Please share!

Old 11-20-2019, 07:06 PM

Let’s face it these vans are crap. 💩💩💩