Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   2011 Town and Country clatters on startup. (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/2011-town-country-clatters-startup-29342/)

besel53 05-14-2018 11:43 AM

2011 Town and Country clatters on startup.

Going to be taking the van to the dealer I guess. Can't figure it out... The thing clatters on startup almost every time, like it has no oil or something. A couple seconds and it runs nice and smooth. Sometimes it throws a code for a cylinder misfire, which will go away after a couple starts or if I clear it of course. Can't recall the code number offhand right now. When this happens, it also turns on the traction control light, and the vehicle will be in limp mode until started again, so we just shut it off and restart it again if that happens, but if you forget and drive away, sure sucks to pull over and restart it. Been doing this for quite some time. The dealer told me twice on other occasions that the Pentastart is know to do this? WTF. It's at 120K miles now. We did buy a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty ($100 every time we bring it in), but still a big pain. Any ideas of what or what not to believe what the dealer says?

BiliTheAxe 05-14-2018 02:10 PM

My 04 Intrepid used to do that for two different reasons.
1: It needed an oil change.
2 Using a non MoPar oil filter.

If I did not use a MoPar oil filter it would always have a sound like that for the first few seconds after start up, but when I used a MoPar oil filter, it only did it when it needed an oil change.
Aftermarket filters always made that noise on start up.

besel53 05-14-2018 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by BiliTheAxe (Post 105856)
My 04 Intrepid used to do that for two different reasons.
1: It needed an oil change.
2 Using a non MoPar oil filter.

If I did not use a MoPar oil filter it would always have a sound like that for the first few seconds after start up, but when I used a MoPar oil filter, it only did it when it needed an oil change.
Aftermarket filters always made that noise on start up.

Thanks for the idea, this is a drop in filter style for this engine, which doesn't have anything to do with an anti drain back valve like a canister style filter which brands and levels make a HUGE difference. All the filters for these are just media on plastic frame which snaps in to the cap. I always change the filter (usually Puralator brand because that's about the only one I can find), and put in 5w-30 full synthetic every 3 to 4K miles. Doesn't matter the condition of the oil. There is a small plastic bypass valve (that can break if not careful) that I replaced a few years back when they came out with the part. (Before, you would have to replace the whole oil filter assembly at the tune of 250 or so) Now it's a 20$ part, lol.

besel53 05-15-2018 02:01 PM

Found Solution.

Well, finally found something on YouTube. Made a few posts about this issue, but never an answer to what it could possibly be. If your Pentastar starts like this..
Looks like the cam phasers are shot. Hopefully the dealer comes to the same solution as I have found on the web.