Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   96 Chrysler T&C Blower issues (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/96-chrysler-t-c-blower-issues-30371/)

bigevil1210 01-25-2019 06:27 AM

96 Chrysler T&C Blower issues

We have a 1996 Chrysler Town & Country, blower quit working-went and bought a resistor and replaced it, no luck. We ordered a brand new blower for it, while we were waiting for delivery I took a wire straight from the battery to the blower motor, it works but only at a low speed and not producing enough heat for winter. We tested out the new blower and we have nothing almost like its got a blown fuse or something, all known fuses were checked unless there is some unknown to myself one that I have not checked yet...Suggestions please I am at a loss......

REBEL59 01-25-2019 10:07 AM

What type heater control does your van have manual or automatic temp control?

bigevil1210 01-25-2019 01:28 PM

It is manual temp control.

REBEL59 01-25-2019 02:12 PM

Did you recheck the resistor? and no power there? Possible fan speed switch?
It's been a long to since I've had one of those '90's era vans....they would "rust out" and be scrapped long ago here...Heck even my 04 models are close to the same fate around here in "rust belt" country!

bigevil1210 01-25-2019 02:16 PM

Brand new resistor, it's almost like I have no power to the blower motor itself...

REBEL59 01-25-2019 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by bigevil1210 (Post 109251)
Brand new resistor, it's almost like I have no power to the blower motor itself...

Power for blower comes thru the resistor mounted behind the glove box on the HVAC box. With a test light check for power there on the wire connector. If you find power on the main (red, I think)and still no blower function, the resister is bad. I know the blower isn't an easy to do job, are you sure that it didn't get bound up on something during installation? Did you test the new blower before installing it?

bigevil1210 01-25-2019 02:32 PM

Resister on this year is under the hood on the firewall. I have the new blower motor and the one we were going to replace both run if ran straight to the battery. Getting ready to go out there and retest everything again, in the hopes that maybe I missed something....

REBEL59 01-25-2019 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by bigevil1210 (Post 109253)
Resister on this year is under the hood on the firewall. I have the new blower motor and the one we were going to replace both run if ran straight to the battery. Getting ready to go out there and retest everything again, in the hopes that maybe I missed something....

You're ABSOLUTELY RIGHT about location(you're working with it)...my mistake, wasn't sure when they changed the location. As I've had 87,89,93 and 94 models, then jumped to 03's and 04's!
RECHECK that resistor!

bigevil1210 01-25-2019 02:41 PM

Lol np about location...I am hoping I figure this out today too darn cold to not have the heat working properly

REBEL59 01-25-2019 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by bigevil1210 (Post 109255)
Lol np about location...I am hoping I figure this out today too darn cold to not have the heat working properly

Also don't forget to check the condition of the wire end of the connector to the resistor! Now that my memory has been "jogged" they can deteriorate from time/heat being exposed under the hood! One of mine from way back overheated the main power wire of that connector and was not making actual contact to the resistor, even though the wires are encased in a plastic modular connector.