Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   '99 T&C - What to look for. (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/99-t-c-what-look-10516/)

eslo 01-03-2010 07:18 PM

'99 T&C - What to look for.

Hi there, im considering a '99 TC 3.8 AWD.

But i've heard rumours about the reliability on these cars isn't the best.
I wanted to hear the most common issues and how often is the service intervals.
The mileage on the car is about 240000 km.
Any suggestions on what to check before buying?

Thanks.

22chrysler 01-03-2010 08:01 PM

Don't do it, this will be the WORST purchase you ever made. Just look at ALL the problem posts on here for gen 3 vans (1996-2000). Figure a trans, instrument cluster, wipers problems, heater problems, A/C failures, rear wiper failure, lots of other electrical gremlins, water pump failures, broken rocker arm shafts in the head, AWD falures, brake problems and the list goes on and on.. It's a PITA to change rear spark plugs, alternator is no cakewalk either. I'll NEVER buy a 1999 T&C again. I bought my wife a 1999 Limited with 101,000 miles, so far I've just about replaced the entire van. My daily drive is a 1991 Toyota corolla.. after 190,000 miles, the only thing I've done is a set of brake pads/shoes, alt belt, and tires. Still has the original clutch and water pump and timing belt and exhaust, etc. the only reason my wife won't drive the Yota is she doesn't like manual trans.

If you want a quality minivan, get a Honda or Toyota.

orca 01-18-2010 06:54 PM

Not all of them were lemons

I just bought (a week ago) a 2000 T&C AWD w/3.8L based on how our 2000 Grand Carvan AWD w/3.8L has done over the past 10 years (one water pump, 2 sets of tires, one right rear shock and a battery). The T&C has 112K on it. I took it in for a full maintenance check up and it needed a right front tie rod, new tires, 2 indicator bulbs, a remote fob (originals were lost), battery and wiper blades. The Carfax I ran and the original receipts left in the vehicle showed that it had trans and diff service at regular intervals and no major work done. It runs like our GC and the trans shifts fine. It's obvious that someone took good care of it.

BTW, neither of these 2000's a have ANY rust on them (and I live in MI), except for various suspension parts which is typical of any vehicle. The strut towers are clean and perfect. Yes, I was lucky to find a vehicle in that condition, but I looked at many T&C's and GC's, and quite a few had over 150K on them and still ran great (and had no history of major repairs). Yes, the hood and right fender are dented up and it was a smoker vehicle (32oz's of Vamoose! took care of that), but I'm not crying over $2600 (not including the tie rod, alignment, batt and Michelins) spent even if I do have to put another couple grand in it for a upcoming major repair in the next year or two (I doubt that it will happen).

Anyway, AWD's rock and it was a thrill to drive it up my frozen 30 degree incline driveway for the first time last week with nearly bald tires. Climbed like a mountain goat. Love these things.

eslo 01-19-2010 06:18 AM

Well, thats not bad, all those things you listed, are in my opinion wear parts.

How thirsty is the engine, mpg or liters pr 10 KM (i live in Norway, and we use liter pr 10km)?