Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Another P1130 problem on Voyager 2.5crd (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/another-p1130-problem-voyager-2-5crd-9130/)

Jacob25crd 08-29-2009 07:31 AM

Another P1130 problem on Voyager 2.5crd

Also my Chrysler 2.5CRD, 2003, 70.000km has the infamous P1130 problem.

The first time I ever experienced any problem was immediately after refueling. The engine would only start after a while and gave lots of smoke at that time. When driving the car afterwards the engine has stopped several times at unpredictable moments. Only after about 30 seconds later the engine would start again. The diagnosis code is P1130

After this I have drained water from the fuel filter and replaced it. I also replaced the fuel with clean diesel. This seemed to help for a few hundred miles but now the problem is reappearing . The engine will stop suddenly with fault code p1130.

After reading the posts on this forum, remedies for the problem seem to be fuelfilter (but I already did that) , replacing injectors, fuel pump or solenoid on the bosch fuel pump. In all cases these are expensive repairs and difficult to diagnose.

Before bringing the car to the shop for diagnosis and repair, I would like to be certain that there is no simple solution that I can do myself and that there no hope that the problem will go away by itself. I am quite convinced that the cause of the problem initially was bad fuel combined with neglecting to drain or replace the fuel filter. Could the current problems still be due to fuel starvation due to clogged up mix of dirty fuel and water somewhere? Hints in this direction are that the problem seems to occur especially just after refueling. Also, but I don't know if this is relevant, I can only add fuel at a low rate, as if something is blocking the fuel inlet pipe.

In this case, what is the best way to clean it? Any help is appreciated.

Merlin 08-30-2009 04:46 AM

Hi
I never have problems diagnosing this fault but I know others do (even other dealers) Low fuel can set this code as air can get in the lines but after a good run it should be fine. Fuel pump you can normally hear when they are faulty as they make funny noises. injectors again easy to test with any more then 25mm per injector per minute leak off it's faulty. control valve on the high pressure pump is the last test and you check for actual fuel pressure oscillations away from set point pressure on DRB (dealer scan tool) my rule is any if it's going more them 300 psi lower then 300 high and back again I change it and retest.
filling the tank is a known issue but is normal you will find some filling stations are better then others you may also find if you try different angles can improve filling.

Jacob25crd 08-30-2009 10:41 AM

results leak back test

Merlin, thanks for the reply.
I have now carried out the leak back test. It seems that the higher one revs the engine, the higher the leak back is. Should I carry out the leak back test while idling? In this case the total leak back per minute is 46.2 ml for 4 cylinders (6.7 ml for cylinder 1 and 39,5 for cyl 2, 3 and 4 together) . This seems ok, although I have no sepearte measurement on cyl 2,3 or 4.

When I do the measurement at 2500 RPM the total leak back per minute is 113 ml, which is higher then 25 ml per cylinder and not ok. This is approximately divided as follows:

cyl 1 (near cam belt): 26 ml/min at 2500 RPM
cyl 2: 27 ml/min
cyl 3: 27 ml/min
cyl 4: 33 ml/min

Merlin, how would you interprete these data?

Merlin 08-30-2009 02:13 PM

Hi
Sorry needs to be a idle. I do recommend you test them one at a time just to be sure as 3 could be really low. Also just pull the leek pipe off the rail and to make sure the rail is holding pressure again at idle (will need to clamp the hose).

Jacob25crd 08-30-2009 02:54 PM

will report back

Thanks again Merlin. I hope to do the separate measurements tomorrow, and will report back with the numbers as soon as I have them.
Unfortunately, In my first attemp at measuring I have managed to break the plastic T connector for cylinder 1 (near cam chain). Just so that others be warned: For cylinder 1 you can not pull of the hose in a straight line because of lack of space. Should have removed the iron clip and lift T connector from injector so that hose can be pulled of easily from the connector, but didn't.:o.

Jacob25crd 08-31-2009 12:25 PM

I now did the measurements per cylinder at idle. These are the numbers:
cyl 1 (near belts): 7,3 ml/min
cyl 2: 9,3 ml/min
cyl 3: 9,3 ml/min
cyl 4: 7,3 ml/min

These numbers are averaged over a 15 min period that I left the car idling.
I also removed the leak pipe from the rail. No fuel coming out of the rail.

By the way: During the measurements the engine has been running for about an hour without the first sign of any irregularity. It seems the engine cuts out only if I try to accelerate or if I am driving above a certain speed for a while, but never when it is sitting still.

Merlin 08-31-2009 05:10 PM

Hi
OK injectors sound good, if the lift pump is good then will need to see what the fuel pressure is.

Jacob25crd 09-01-2009 05:45 AM

Thanks. I guess this means I have to take it to the dealer. This may take a week or so because I first have to find a replacement for the T-connector to get the car drivable again.

I don't know if the information below is of any use, but just in case: A few weeks ago the car has been connected to a scan tool at a Bosch service center (not a Chrysler dealer), but I am not sure that the guy had all the data he needed for the job. At that time the scan tool showed a plot of pressure against time and current pressure in numbers. I wish I had paid closer attention then but I did not yet read this forum at the time. All I can tell you is that if there were any pressure drops that would coincide with the engine nearly stalling, they occured for very short periods, too short to show up in the graph. We then tried to get the engine to stall by revying it at 3500 RPM and suddenly relieving the gas, hoping the engine would overshoot its idle set point and stall. We may have succeeded in this once or twice but in general the engine picked up just in time. Again the pressure drops if any were (very) short lived. The Bosch service center could not give me a diagnosis based on what they saw.

Merlin 09-01-2009 02:49 PM

Hi
As it's a Bosch system he should get it all but a graph is poor way it see on a Bosch machine (I used to work at a bosch service center). shouldn't need to rev it just let it sit at idle and watch the two pressure readings.
As to the pipe dealer will only sell you a complete pipe that goes to all 4.

Jacob25crd 09-04-2009 03:50 PM

problem solved?

Hello,
Today I improvised a fix for the broken T-connector , so that I can drive again. I did a new test run of about half an hour and tried to get the engine to stall, but it didn't stall once. A week ago it stalled about 10 times on a test run half the distance. This leaves me confused. I kind of expect that the problem will re-appear next time I refuel, at least this is what has happened before (see 1st post). Then again: A week ago I have added a cleaning additive to the fuel, hoping that this would get rid of dirt in the tank if any, maybe this has done some good. I'll do some longer trips and post in a week or so to let you know what is happening.

Edit mon 7 sept: did another trip of 100km yesterday, added 25 l of fuel, then drove another 30 km. Engine did not stall. So far so good!