Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Automatic transmission only works when it's warm (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/automatic-transmission-only-works-when-its-warm-16565/)

jensebmiller 01-10-2012 02:41 AM

Automatic transmission only works when it's warm

Hi there.

I have a Grand Voyager 3.8 LE Automatic, 1998, and the following problems has appeared:

• It only shifts into gear when it's warm, which means that the motor must run for five to ten minutes when it's cold before the car moves at all. (There's a small leakage somewhere, hence it spills oil - app. ½ liter pr. month. I check oil every day and fills up, if it lacks). Once warm, there's no problems at all.
  • The caracteristic "clicking" sound that usually appears when you shift into gear and just before you stop, only appears from time to time.
  • The "device" that regulates the idle running doesn't work. The idle running is therefor set to 700 rpm.

Hopefully someone in here knows what to do, or if these problems are connected.

Have a nice day

Jens

BDear115 01-14-2012 08:41 PM

Hello Jens. I too have the same Problem with a 2000 Chrys T&C 3.8L. I used a product called "Lucas Transmission Fix", which stated it is "Guaranteed to stop leaks and hard shifting". It did mostly stop the leak, and it did help the shifting problem - for a while - but now I must warm up before it shifts correctly.
I will try changing the Trans fluid & filter, using Mopar Trans fluid (not cheap brand). I will probably add more Lucas Transmission Fix too.
I will let you know if that works.

jensebmiller 01-15-2012 02:44 PM

Hi Bdear

Thanks for answering.

I will try The Lucas Transmission Fix, and see what happens. Moreover i will send the old lady to a Chrysler-wizzard I got connected to. I will let you know if he finds a cure, and I'm looking forward to hearing from you have tried the Mopar

Best regards
Jens

BDear115 01-28-2012 08:36 PM

Jens,
Since the weather here is cold, I decided to be "lazy" and just pump out as much transmission fluid as I could using a pump with hose into the dipstick tube. I did not change the filter.

I got about 4 quarts (~4,5 liters, right?) of the old fluid out, and then replaced it with about 3.5 quarts of Castrol ATF+4, plus about 0.5 quart of the "Lucas Transmission Fix". The reason I used Castrol is because there is no Chrysler dealer in my town and the Mopar website - Licensed ATF+4® Brands - said Castrol ATF+4 was approved.

Anyway, this small change made a very big difference in the performance. The transmission shifts just as it is supposed to even when cold. I imagine a proper complete fluid & filter change would be even better, but I am happy until Spring when the weather is better - then I will do the proper job.

Best Wishes,
Bdear

jensebmiller 01-30-2012 07:39 AM

Hi again

Thank you once again.

I'll try the same, and see what happens!

Good luck!

Jens