Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   burnin oil (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/burnin-oil-18629/)

woodthumb 11-19-2012 02:05 PM

burnin oil

hey guys... 06 t and c 3.8 i bought new began to eat oil at 50000 miles... now has 91000...about 1 qt. per 1500 miles... not getting worse.... cat burned out at 75000 and dealer replaced under warranty telling me oil use is normal... i aint that dumb..two mechanic friends i trust told me valve seals most likely bad... one says lets change them for 700 bucks... the other says live with it as valve guides are probably bad too meaning head job and not worth it... van runs great, original plugs, seldom see smoke even at start up, but i fear cat will go again and more problems coming if i dont do something... i have to keep this thing as i cannot afford another vehicle now... what you think and thanks alot ...

Raptor 07 11-19-2012 05:30 PM

A compression check may narrow down the problem. PCV valve is a long shot but cheap option.

goggs 11-22-2012 02:39 PM

Burning Oil..

Hi guys....Just an answer from another Manufacturer, where car had same fault.
Blocked crankcase ventilation valve was to blame. Does this car have one.
Lack of regular oil changes to blame.
Goggs..

woodthumb 11-24-2012 02:36 PM

ok... took a little gamble and changed valve stem seals today... friend of mine is pro mechanic and loves backyard work so he did it for half price and in about 6 hours... said guides looked and felt ok and fairly confident this is problem... runs too good and smokes hardly at all for it to be rings....i will keep all informed 'cause i know there are some 3.8's out there doin the same thing... i had already changed PCV and hose and EGR... now i have 5 qts fresh 5w 30w in there and will monitor... thanks for continued input ...

woodthumb 01-15-2013 06:15 PM

ok... think my test is complete... after 3000 miles since new valve seals and fresh 5 w 30w... ( most on trip to Ark. ) my van burned a little less than 1/2 quart... not bad i guess for 06 motor with 93000 huh ? i am happy and satisfied the seals were the problem and hope the guides hold up... love the forum and thanks..

Raptor 07 01-15-2013 07:30 PM

You don't want to hear this but my 96GC 3.8 ltr with 211K miles burns 1/2 quart in 5k miles. For what ever reason 4th generation 3.8s seem to have more of these type problems. I wonder what changed between the generations? Glad to here you're having success at nailing this down.

woodthumb 01-15-2013 07:55 PM

yep... i had a 99 lxi that burned nothing... and... had wide top grain low leather seats... gosh i miss that thing... wish i could figure out a way to economically change the seats in this 06... i would do away with power if i could just get a low wide leather seat at least on driver side... any ideas out there? now that i seem to have oil burn under control.... just might keep this thing and do some mods..