Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   CB Radio install (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/cb-radio-install-16531/)

gr8scott72 01-05-2012 11:39 PM

CB Radio install

4 Attachment(s)
I have been doing a bunch of traveling with my job and will be switching over to the T&C from the car I was driving so I decided to install my CB in the T&C. I wanted it to look better than it did in my last car. I just had it on the dash before with the wires just running down beside the radio.

I finally worked out were I wanted it and then finally found a way to get it there. I put it in the flip-down sunglass holder thingy.

Attachment 1762

Attachment 1763

Attachment 1764

It sits pretty far back but then again, so do I at 6'4".

I ran the antenna around the top trim pieces and then pulled the headliner from the rear and drilled a hole in the roof in the rear. (Scary!!)

I didn't take a picture of the antenna installed as I had my hands full today when I snapped the picture and didn't feel like backing the van back out of the carport. The little black weather cap just unscrews and the antenna screws right in.

Attachment 1765

I think it came out pretty good and the wife didn't even mind the way it looked. I just store the mic in the glove box when not in use.

zygoma 03-15-2012 09:07 AM

Great looking install! And if you find the antenna cord hangs down too much as to cause a distraction (I didn't see a mic clip in your photos), you can always get one of those retractible "Gear Keepers" and mount it to the passenger side visor clip, so the slack is pulled up snug to the radio when you're not using it, and you then just pull it down against its spring tension when you need to hold it. Kinda like those "key-back" belt holders for clusters of keys.
And drilling holes in the roof gets a lot easier after you've done several hundred. I have the special 3/8" and 3/4" antenna hole saws to cover most of the holes I ever need, and they even limit the hole depth AND scrape the paint around the hole for a nice RF ground.
Good call on using the rain cap, too; the little O-ring on the bottom of most antenna mounts thins out and starts to leak in many installations, but the rain cap is much more protection when no antenna as fitted.
Where'd you pick up your operating voltage? Granted, it only needs less than two amps, but sources that haven't gone through lots of fuses and other potentially high resistance points are hard to find.
If I didn't have 4 radios in my T&C, and/or if I could get the bezel for the fancy version like you have (I just have the two map lights on mine), I'd try to copy your install.
Again, very nice job.
-- Zygoma ---

gr8scott72 03-15-2012 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by zygoma (Post 59938)
Great looking install! And if you find the antenna cord hangs down too much as to cause a distraction (I didn't see a mic clip in your photos), you can always get one of those retractible "Gear Keepers" and mount it to the passenger side visor clip, so the slack is pulled up snug to the radio when you're not using it, and you then just pull it down against its spring tension when you need to hold it. Kinda like those "key-back" belt holders for clusters of keys.
And drilling holes in the roof gets a lot easier after you've done several hundred. I have the special 3/8" and 3/4" antenna hole saws to cover most of the holes I ever need, and they even limit the hole depth AND scrape the paint around the hole for a nice RF ground.
Good call on using the rain cap, too; the little O-ring on the bottom of most antenna mounts thins out and starts to leak in many installations, but the rain cap is much more protection when no antenna as fitted.
Where'd you pick up your operating voltage? Granted, it only needs less than two amps, but sources that haven't gone through lots of fuses and other potentially high resistance points are hard to find.
If I didn't have 4 radios in my T&C, and/or if I could get the bezel for the fancy version like you have (I just have the two map lights on mine), I'd try to copy your install.
Again, very nice job.
-- Zygoma ---

Thanks!

Mic cord is normally pulled off and stored in glove box. When I do use it, it's usually just me in the van and it doesn't really bother me.

I just tapped into power from source going to the visor light. Might not be the best place but it works just fine.

I get great range with that antennae on the top of the van. It sure is tall tho. I scrapped the drive-thru thing at the hotel and it said 13' clearance.