Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   central locking & interior lights (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/central-locking-interior-lights-16965/)

Gavin 03-01-2012 04:05 PM

central locking & interior lights

Hi all, this is my first post. Recently i bought a Grand Voyager 3.3 V6 LX 1999 (T). Ive had a few problems with it but to make a long story short, some one changed the battery and got the poles mixed up when installing the new one.

As a result of this the fuse wire on the live terminal blew. I have temporarily replaced this with a crimp.

Now the central locking, interior lights (when the ignition is off) and the radio do not work! I have checked all the fuses under the bonnet and under the dash and all are ok. I am hoping this is not a ECU problem!

Basically what im asking is there anyone who knows if i am missing something that can be checked/replaced other than the ECU?

Any replies will be greatly welcomed and appreicated!
Many thanks,
Gavin.

Gavin 03-02-2012 08:39 AM

Reading the forums, am i correct in thinking the central locking may not be working because of the battery being removed? And needs reprograming somehow using a sequence on the key fob?

HellasHaggis 03-03-2012 05:08 AM

The central locking on the key fob can be reset by returning the EVIC (Electronic Vehicle Information Centre) to factory settings. It is the central overhead display above the rear view mirror.

To check if you have power going to your radio and central console, you remove/lower the glove compartment (cubbyhole), reach behind it and check the wire loom and connector pins for 12 volt with a multimeter, you did mention that you checked the fuses first, this is the next connection in the line to the radio / DVD (if fitted) etc.

Gavin 03-03-2012 06:43 PM

Thanks Haggis! i will try this as soon as i get a chance and let you know.

Many thanks for your time.

Gavin 03-05-2012 01:05 PM

Just to make sure! before i test these points with a multimeter can i put the negative on the body work as an earth? dont wanna blow anything else!

HellasHaggis 03-10-2012 04:39 AM

Yes, there is no voltage coming off the multimeter, just be sure to set the meter to the correct range when you measure the voltage. The negative terminal with a crocodile clip on a clean chassis point will free your other hand up to hold the connector.

Should you wish to check a wire without a connector near it, you could also add another crocodile clip to the positive lead of the meter, secure a thin pin/needle into the clip and use the pin to gently pierce through the wire insulation. It will save you having to trim, clean and re-insulate any wire loom.

Best wishes.
HH