Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Chrysler town and country trans slipping. (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/chrysler-town-country-trans-slipping-26209/)

rrolleston 06-27-2016 08:50 AM

Chrysler town and country trans slipping.

I have a Chrysler Town and Country. Still under extended warranty. Dealer refuses to admit transmission is slipping. But suggests we do a trans flush at 89000 miles when the trans was already flushed at 62000. Brought it in and they did not even bother to check fluids. Said I should change plugs do injection cleaning and flush transmission. And that will help. Says trans flush should be done every 30k because we live in the northeast. Just feel like I am being fed a bunch of bull. Any advice appreciated.

Vonhofinvule 06-27-2016 09:31 AM

Sounds like the BS is flowing strongly there. Given that the fluid was changed at 62,000 I'd be surprised if there were issues with it, however my first stop would be to pull out the dipstick and check the oil myself. At this mileage it still should have a nice red colour to it, furthermore smell the dipstick. If it has a hint of a rotten egg smell to it them this is a good indication that there's problems inside the trans.

If so I'd put money on the fact that they want to flush the box as this will mash the obvious smell for a while! Additionally I'd also consider paying for a second opinion at a local transmissions shop!

rrolleston 06-27-2016 09:55 AM

I thought with the new transmissions they were sealed. Ours is a 2011.

rrolleston 06-27-2016 12:43 PM

I have taken your advice and schedule a diagnostics at a local transmission shop that has a really good reputation. They offered to check it out at no cost and let me know what they think.

Leedsman 07-04-2016 02:16 PM

If you change the ATF fluid, make sure it's appropriate for the vehicle. I have known auto-boxes still working ok after 250,000 miles.
I agree, you are probably being fed garbage by your mechanic. there are many misconceptions about autoboxes by people who should know better. Often it's because they don't want to do expensive and time consuming work partic. if there is some kind of guarantee/warranty involved. Would a visit by the AA be appropriate for an opinion? You might have to pay for it, but save a lot in the long run.
Remenber, about half of all autobox problems are fixed simply by changing the ATF fliud (for the appropriate type). Has yours actually BEEN changed?
Leedsman.

rrolleston 07-05-2016 07:43 AM

Fluid was changed at the dealer around 60000 miles. Took it to a local transmission shop and they said need a tuneup. Took it to a repair shop and they test drove it and said the same thing. Had it done and it runs great again. Guess I mixed up slipping with the engine just losing power.

Leedsman 07-07-2016 11:45 AM

As they say with computers, "garbage in, garbage out". Fortunately "all's well that ends well", as Wallace might say to Grommit.
Leedsman.