Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Clonking over Bumps (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/clonking-over-bumps-11702/)

adeel43 06-15-2010 03:53 PM

Clonking over Bumps

So I reckon the car is now running nicely with the fuel filter changed and hasnt stalled in over 100 miles of hard driving - hopefully will stay that way.

Now over bumps potholes there is a noisy clonking from front and rear and surely doesnt require a mechanic to fix - what do I need to change apart from stabilizer links? Have bought a set from ebay for £45 and will change over the weekend.

Do I need to change anything else?

actd 06-16-2010 07:55 AM

There are anti roll bushes that may wear, but I'd just change the links first to see if that cures it. I found it quite an easy thing to do (had a mechanic change mine the first time, but did it myself the second). Jack the car up, undo the bolts and then, with a second jack, slowly jack up the suspension to take the tension off the stabiliser link until you can remove it easily.

adeel43 07-26-2010 05:40 AM

Changed the ARB links and the voyager now handles much better than before, feels much tighter and controlled than before.

The clonking is still there so have bought some bushes from the dealer ' updated design' they reckon so should last about 20-30k miles - for £11 I couldnt really complain.

Any one want to tell me how to fit them or post a link - struggling to search for the right terms!

glowplug 07-26-2010 01:20 PM

The bushes are held on by a half moon bracket. You need to jack the car up and remove both front wheels. Ideally you want to remove the bottom drop link bolt so that the ARB swings free. It always helps to have another pair of hands but you can do it by yourself. On my 2000 model the bracket is held on by a simple nut and bolt arrangement. You will need a spanner front and rear and holding the rear nut can be awkward. Anyhow do one side at a time taking particular note of the shape of the bush you take off to ensure that the new one goes back in exactly the same. DO NOT go by the slit in the rubber. In my experience this various depending on who manufactured the bush. Be careful not to damae the steering pump cooler whilst you are under there. You will need to get the car up quite high.

YOU MUST MUST MUST use a decent pair of 3 Tonne axle stands which you can buy from Halfords and ensure that they are securely mounted under the box section stiffeners of the chassis or some other very very sound location. Remember you will be working under the car to loosen the nut and bolt DO NOT TAKE CHANCES WITH YOUR LIFE !!!!!!!!!!

Use some vegetable oil to lubricate the in / outside of the new bush and then fitting is the reversal of removal.

Best of luck.

adeel43 08-24-2010 04:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Went to get the bushes fitted today and my mechanic couldnt fit them - are these the right ones?

Chrysler adamant they are, my mechanic adamant they are not!

I have a 2002 2.5 crd Voyager

TNtech 08-24-2010 08:28 PM

I've put a bunch of those things on and never have I seen plastic sleeves inside them. Keep in mind the sway bar links and the bushings will make almost the same identical noise. I know it sounds silly but it's true.

adeel43 08-28-2010 03:47 PM

Any idea what is in the picture then? I've seen the mechanic try and fit them and they just done fit!