Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Fitting an aftermarket central locking kit to a 02 plate Grand Voyager

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 09:45 AM
Default Fitting an aftermarket central locking kit to a 02 plate Grand Voyager

I recently purchased a 02 Chrysler Grand Voyager Lx Crd and so far does everything I need it to do
The only problem (I really asking for trouble now saying that) is that the remote locking key fob only works on the front passenger side door.
I'm guessing the actuators have just given up the ghost on the other doors and need replacing.

My model does not have the remote opening rear doors or tailgate so
I would have thought it would be a relatively simple task

I have been looking online and to replace 3 actuators second hand will cost me £200+ with second hand parts and probably an arm and a leg for new parts

I have been thinking about buying an after market central locking kit ripping out the old system and fitting the kit
has anyone on this forum had the same problem?

Has anyone experience fitting after market central locking kits to a voyager
are there any pitfalls I can avoid?

Old 07-13-2014, 12:37 PM

Hi Enrich

Read my thread on this topic as im going through the same thing at the moment... but the difference is im just trying to fit the unit to make my central locking work from the remote the kits fob you are thinking of fitting a complete new system

you can read the problems im having at the moment here as this is still ongoing and there will be more updates

https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...ket-kit-22219/

hope you have more success than i have so far

Regards
Pete..

Last edited by pete@co.uk; 07-13-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:56 AM

Hi Enric, it sounds like you are having a problem with your BCM. (Body Control Module, or whatever Chrysler's term is for this unit), this is a common issues with Chrysler/Dodge vehicles of this period. Now you local Chrysler dealer or anyone with access to a DRB III scanner will be able to access any error codes, furthermore, there is a software flash/update available from Chrysler however, I have no idea of the cost. Fortunately, there are other alternatives.

One quick fix that seems to work for some people is simply to disconnect the battery for about 30 mins, although apparently the same thing can be achieved by removing a fuse but I have no idea where this is. Another is to replace the module, now this is how the previous owner of my 98 Grand Caravan fixed the issue.

However, I would be very cautious about attempting to replace it with an after-market system because your power door lock are part of an integrated system which includes your power windows, HVAC, stereo, wipers and a whole lot more. Therefore, you could inadvertently create more issues than you began with.

Personally my first stop would be to have it scanned, because one actuator failing is common, but 3! Thats suggests the issues lie elsewhere.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:24 AM

I have no idea if this works for you, but lately I was experimenting with "programming features" I discovered on my 2002 GV
Pressing the "Open" button for some time and then simultaneously pressing the "Close" button for a few seconds apparently changed the functionality of my remote control
My remote key used to open all locks at the same time with one click, but bnow I need to press the "Open" button 2 times quickly to open all doors. Otherwise (1 click) it only opens the driverseat door. ..

Old 07-20-2014, 06:13 PM

Looking at your post you said your problem could be the door actuators being at fault well i had same problem with mine but it was both rear doors that wouldn't lock or unlock it turned out to be both had gone down anyway i managed to replace both of them from the scrappy for just £25 now they are working fine but im still having the remote key not working issue

Regards
Pete..

Old 07-27-2014, 03:54 AM

Hi There again

Just to let you know ive got my remote central locking working now with an aftermarket kit the problem on mine was wrong information I.E (wrong resistors) on a wiring data sheet that was sent with the kit tfb found the problem and sorted it

BTW Did You Manage To get Your Central Locking working ?

Kind
regards
Pete....

Last edited by pete@co.uk; 07-31-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:31 PM

first of all thankyou for all the replies with offers of help
I did take the door panel off and it was very obvious this was an ongoing problem,
(everything has been apart more than one)
then due to bad health I have had to drop tools and forget about the whole thing,
I am hoping to have another go in the near future but not quite yet.
The only job I'm trying in the mean time is adding a after market car stereo this all looks quite simple with the exception of the car aerial socket at the back of the radio
thanks for all the advice that was given as soon as I feel upto more adventurous repairs i will be reading your threads

Old 10-12-2018, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by pete@co.uk
Hi There again

Just to let you know ive got my remote central locking working now with an aftermarket kit the problem on mine was wrong information I.E (wrong resistors) on a wiring data sheet that was sent with the kit tfb found the problem and sorted it

BTW Did You Manage To get Your Central Locking working ?

Kind
regards
Pete....
hi are you still active on this forum ? post is quite old but im just about to try what you did.im guessing ill probsably need some help. cheers