Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Coolant getting low 97/8' 3.3 Grand Voyager (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/coolant-getting-low-97-8-3-3-grand-voyager-9547/)

Josho 10-17-2009 03:09 PM

Coolant getting low 97/8' 3.3 Grand Voyager

Hey. On our Chrysler 3.3 there must be a water leak. I topped the rad up (low) and the external tank right up this morning, we took it maybe 20-30 miles and when we left (some hours later) I checked the coolant again. The radiator was 1/2-3/4 full. The expansion tank was fairly full still.

When I filled it this morning, I started the engine, let the bubbles go and topped it up. I then let my brother accelerate to 2k revs, the coolant went down a bit while I poured some more in. As soon as he stopped accelerating the coolant came straight back up and the excess poured out.

It keeps draining to this point and has once before ages ago overheated, I thought the RAC man had fixed it but I never really checked.

It's draining to this point and staying there, it hasn't overheated since this last event (4-5 years ago?) and no lights are warning on the dash.

I have a feeling the thermostat gasket might need changing, as it's at the top and I have done an emergency thermostat change before without renewing the gasket, although it didn't seem to leak.

I haven't had a chance to look properly yet, but was wondering if anyone knew a prone leak that would drain the coolant to 1/2-3/4 full?

Come to think of it there has been puddles overnight before but I thought this was because I have overfilled the expansion.

Thank you for any help, this car is no longer a daily due to fuel costs, so it's not super urgent.

Thanks though!

22chrysler 10-17-2009 03:33 PM

did you ever think of doing a coolant pressure test?. the tool is way less expensive than a blown overheated engine. common leak points. Hoses, heater tubes, radiator, waterpump, heater core, and then there's internal leaks but rare(intake gasket or head gasket)

Josho 10-17-2009 03:43 PM

As it happens I was thinking of getting a pressure testing machine. Infact my dad claims he has one somewhere.

I agree on the blown headgasket part, although I would change it myself, the time it would take would be un worth it.

It's going on the same 30 mile odd trip tomorrow and I will fill it up before and after. It only leaks to this point, and goes no more.

Temperature is fine, in the middle and getting heat from heaters.

After this important journey tomorrow, the car won't be used much at all, if ever until we take it on a journey again, as we have a Volkswagen Golf to run around in. Unless it snows or is icy, then we favour the Chrysler's stability controls, ABS, TC etc.

I will take a look Monday.

Thank you for your advice. =)

22chrysler 10-17-2009 05:08 PM

not a machine, simple pressure tester. US autoparts stores in the $50 range. Stant is one well known brand for these testers.