Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Easy to break into a new T&C (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/easy-break-into-new-t-c-18239/)

woody131 09-10-2012 11:07 PM

Easy to break into a new T&C

Hello All...

I just had to post this as a heads up for people with T&C's or thinking about getting one. I have a 2011 T&C that we traded into earlier this year and for the most part has been good. Late last week i returned to my T&C after work in a well lit, patrolled parking lot to find it was broke into. To be honest, i new it was broke into at the time but didn't no how until i spoke to my shop guy who showed me. What looked like very little damage from the outside, still cost me / my insurance over $900 to get it fixed.

I am not going to into details here how it was done, but it was so simple and clean i couldn't believe it. The thief was in and out of my Van within mins. I realize break in's happen all the time, i had it happen to me in the past on a old Honda accord, but they had to break open the lock and did some serious damage just to get in.

What really surprises me is the reaction i got from people in the auto repair world that Dodge/Chrysler still haven't fixed the problem on the newest cars/vans that are out there. For the record i don't keep a lot of stuff in my van to begin with and all that was stolen was about a dollar in change that was hidden away in the centre console.

I just don't understand how Dodge/Chrysler could careless about fixing this issue as it almost seems pointless to having locks on the doors to how easy it is to break in.

Anyways, just had to rant a little about this and hope leaving my centre console open and glove box will realize to thefts its not worth spending the little effort to break in again.

CHRYSLER TECH 09-11-2012 12:33 AM

If some one wants in or something bad enough no matter what they will get in.

woody131 09-11-2012 12:41 AM

Totally agree, in my line of business of networks, data, IT world same thing. If someone wants to hack in they will.

But come on, they must be able to make it a little more challenging to break in without using a small screw driver. A kid could do it if they were shown. I am just saying they don't need to make it so easy.

CHRYSLER TECH 09-11-2012 07:38 AM

here is the catch it would not really matter how hard they make it with door handles or what ever u can just grab a rock and smash a window then your in.
The key is your real theft system The car can not be started unless the key is programed to your car so it is rendered useless with out the keys.

woody131 09-11-2012 02:46 PM

Again, i agree that if someone wants in, they will just break a window, etc. But that shouldn't be an excuse for poor design by a automaker and allowing people to break in that easy.

If the thief had a choice between my van and another car/make beside it and knowing that it would take 2 secs to open the door without breaking a window and not make as much notice to him self, what vehicle do you think they are going to break into. Keep in mind, parked in a busy, well lit and patrolled parking lot.

For the people that leave stuff in there car's and not try to hide anything, ya a thief will break in, smash a window, etc to make it worth there time.

I realize i sound like am pissed off that i got broke into and sure, but i am more annoyed that anyone could get into my van in a second, looking like it was with a key. I just wanted to make people aware that it is super easy to break into a T&C and be warned not to leave stuff out to make it worth a thief's time.

I just hope for future models it wont be as easy and a thief will try a different car first. :)

rtracing 09-13-2012 02:16 AM

Would be nice if you give us a hint so we, other TC owners, would know what area we should be looking at. PM me if you prefer not to post it.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by woody131 (Post 64634)
Hello All...

I just had to post this as a heads up for people with T&C's or thinking about getting one. I have a 2011 T&C that we traded into earlier this year and for the most part has been good. Late last week i returned to my T&C after work in a well lit, patrolled parking lot to find it was broke into. To be honest, i new it was broke into at the time but didn't no how until i spoke to my shop guy who showed me. What looked like very little damage from the outside, still cost me / my insurance over $900 to get it fixed.

I am not going to into details here how it was done, but it was so simple and clean i couldn't believe it. The thief was in and out of my Van within mins. I realize break in's happen all the time, i had it happen to me in the past on a old Honda accord, but they had to break open the lock and did some serious damage just to get in.

What really surprises me is the reaction i got from people in the auto repair world that Dodge/Chrysler still haven't fixed the problem on the newest cars/vans that are out there. For the record i don't keep a lot of stuff in my van to begin with and all that was stolen was about a dollar in change that was hidden away in the centre console.

I just don't understand how Dodge/Chrysler could careless about fixing this issue as it almost seems pointless to having locks on the doors to how easy it is to break in.

Anyways, just had to rant a little about this and hope leaving my centre console open and glove box will realize to thefts its not worth spending the little effort to break in again.

iqra777 09-14-2012 07:58 AM

I just had to publish this as a leads up for individuals with T&C's or considering getting one. I have a 2011 T&C that we exchanged into a few months ago and for the most aspect has been excellent. Delayed the other day i came back to my T&C after perform in a well lit, patrolled vehicle car park to discover it was split into. To be sincere, i new it was split into at enough time but didn't no how until i talked to my store guy who revealed me. What seemed like very little harm from the outside, still price me / my insurance coverage over $900 to get it set..

Cootsy 01-15-2023 10:20 PM

Please tell me how to break in because I just locked my keys in mine and could really use the top. I would be more then appreciative for the information.