Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Electrical Problem (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/electrical-problem-2141/)

watrysr 11-06-2006 05:13 PM

Electrical Problem

Scenario: 2005 Town and Country. Wife is driving down the road. All gauges suddenly read 0, power steering is no longer there, and engine acts like it is not on. No indications in the dash, no check engine light or anything. Brakes work. Took it to the dealer and got the dreaded "can not duplicate". It has happened mutliple times since. Is there something I can check at home to isolate what is causing this? In Alaska, driving on icy roads, power steering is a necessity. Is there something I can suggest to the dealer? They will not do anything unless they can duplicate the issue. I work avionics on F-16s and if we have recurring problems that can't be duplicated, we tend to change the most likely cause to begin trying to fix the problem, but I can't get the service department here in Fairbanks to even venture a guess on what might be causing this. Any help would be appreciated. The last thing I need is a call from my wife in -50 degree temps saying the van will not restart. Thanks in advance.

Steve

CHRYSLER TECH 12-13-2006 10:58 PM

RE: Electrical Problem

what u just said makes no sence. the power steering is mechanical a pump and rack and lines if it stops working then the engine had died correct? they are correct in saying if the prob is not there throwing parts at it wont do a bit of good. What u can do is 2 things first see if the dealer will drive the van for a few days to see if it can be dupuclated. second see what conditions that u or your wife notice it happens during. I dont know of any tsbs for that issue either.

watrysr 12-14-2006 01:07 PM

Thank you for the reply. I agree, it did not make sense. My wife and I figured out what is likely causing this. She sits really far under the steering column for better control. Apparently, even in drive, you can turn the ignition off. I duplicated that in my driveway. The reason I could not duplicate it or the dealer for that matter is we don't sit as far up underneath the steering column and have no chance of bumping her key chain. Since she has become aware of the problem, it has not happened again. I did not believe you should be able to turn off the ignition with it is drive, but I tested it on my Explorer and it does the same thing. I am going to assume this is normal operations? Ah well, at least it is not happening anymore. Again, thanks.

Steve

CHRYSLER TECH 12-14-2006 01:19 PM

yeah we have that happen a few times with short people we had a DM just yesterday checking out same issue with short people hitting it with there knee. Well at least that issue is taken care of do u by chance have power adjustable petals installed? I guess not because she could adj so she could reach them

webbee 12-14-2006 10:57 PM

ORIGINAL: CHRYSLER TECH
...do u by chance have power adjustable petals installed? I guess not because she could adj so she could reach them
That's an interesting option. Is it available/installable cross platform?

CHRYSLER TECH 12-14-2006 11:31 PM

i doubt it but u can check the dealer near u if i remember i will look tommarow when i get to work and see if there is a add on for that