Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Flat Battery Again!!!!!!!! (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/flat-battery-again-34911/)

Tiny1000 11-12-2023 05:47 AM

Flat Battery Again!!!!!!!!

2006 Grand Voyager 2.8 CRD Battery going flat. Well brought a new battery after our old one went flat twice (only a year old), We replaced it with the same as we had Optima RTC 4.2. But before we put it on I thought i'd check for a drain, so I left it 25 minutes after taking off the old battery then connected up the Positive terminal and connected a 10A multimeter between the Negative terminal and the Negative lead. It read 02.13, bit shocked but i thought I'll pull the fuses one at a time, none of them made the slightest difference. Not sure what to do except maybe disconnect the amp as these seem to be a major culprit with loads of owners - Any Help - Thanks

Tiny1000 11-12-2023 07:37 AM

Well pulled the Amp and it's not that....lucky me, it's not in the fusebox pulled everything in there, pulled the relays at the front of the car it's not them - I'm starting to think something like the starter motor or the alternator....At a guess, but i'm freezing cold and it's raining so no more today

AlanC 11-12-2023 08:28 AM

I now you said you pulled ALL the fuses but did you pull the IOD fuse? I had the same problem a few years ago and it turned out to be the amplifier drawing 1.5 amps when the ignition was off. The amplifier circuit board was shorting due to rainwater getting in.

Tiny1000 11-12-2023 10:30 AM

Thanks AlanC, pulled all the fuses in the fusebox, both types and all the relays as well, it turns out that it's not the amp either, that's sitting somewhere in the in the back of the car piled up with all the other bits i've taken off - Tomorrow I'll start again, if the weather lets me :rolleyes:

Tiny1000 11-13-2023 07:31 AM

It looks like I wasn't waiting long enough between testing, because as AlanC said, the IOD fuse did make a difference, although the amp is ok, I think it's down to the DVD player - So time to put some of the items back in than test again - To be continued 😒

Tiny1000 11-13-2023 11:11 AM

It was the DVD player, we never used it so there was never a reason to doubt it. Left the car with no battery on for 30 minutes (not really too sure how long it needs to be) Clamped the tester to the negative lead and the negative battery post (really do need to be clamped for a good connection) with the meter set to 10A I left it for 3 minutes for the Amps to settle (as in repair manual) and reading went to down 18 milliamps - Well Happy 😀

AlanC 11-13-2023 11:25 AM

So pleased that you've found the cause of your problem. Although I hope you visually checked the circuit board on the amp before refitting it as mine was causing an intermittent fault, sometimes it worked fine and other times it just wouldn't work.and wouldn't play any sound.

Tiny1000 11-13-2023 11:28 AM

To tell the truth AlanC, I disconnected it and took the back off it and threw it in the bin, I just kept the face plate to fill the hole 🤣🤣🤣

AlanC 11-13-2023 12:40 PM

I meant the amplifier, not the DVD :D

Tiny1000 11-13-2023 12:53 PM

To tell the honest truth, it just went back in, I was so cold all I was interested in was getting the car sorted and getting in the warm, if it plays up it's staying where it is until the weather warms up 🤣