Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

GV Rear drum brake grinding

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 04:11 PM
Exclamation GV Rear drum brake grinding

Hi folks,

Am onto my next little challenge with my 2005 Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.8CRD UK. Had a weekend in the lakes, doing all the twisty little roads and braking, etc, and today I noticed quite a noise coming from the driver side rear wheel.

Noise didn't seem to change under braking, freewheeling, etc, so thought tonight I'd take a look. Lifted the car up and just spinning the wheel showed why it was sounding pretty rough, it was terrible!

My video shows it very clearly:

Didn't have time fully to take the calliper off so the car is laid up for the night, borrow the Mrs car and tomorrow night will give it a go to take the calliper off and see what's going on in there. My guess is one of the springs have disintegrated/rusted to bits and snapped causing bits to be rattling about inside there.

Will try and get a few photos and details as I go along for future reference.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:28 PM

Leedsman's thread covers most of handbrick - here - the spring you talk of is here and is one of many parts in the small parts bag - my bet is your shoes were on rivets 5 years ago, you just did not know it. When you finally have it sorted, and bedded do this :

- car in park
- engine on
- footbrake hard on
- at least 3 or more hard pulls on the handbrick
- should self adjust via the clockspring

Old 07-14-2015, 03:03 AM

Thank you, yep already had Leedsman's post bookmarked ready! I've fiddled on my last GV with the brakes (had to weld a new piece of metal into the hand-pull mechanism due to damage/wear and tear - but alas no pictures on it) so have a bit of an idea with it (But as you know, mechanics aren't my best feature!)
Thanks for the kit link to ebay too, had been having a look and was suspecting as much.

Will update later on when I get a chance to take a look and get the calliper off.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:37 AM

This reminds me of what my tame MOT tester put on the recent report under 'advisory' about my handbrake mod. to get more mech. advantage --
"Handbrake modified but not inappropriately".

Leedsman.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:37 AM

(1) Cleaning as in bright metal and lube is the key to starting on the rear foot & parking brake conundrum, its never been cleaned in its lifetime of say 10 years. Next is the (2) after 1 September 2010 requirement for 58% service brake pass test in truth if you spend hours doing it right it will still depend on whether you want to invest heavily in the extra mile - the extra mile means having finished and lowered to the road you drive it forward with the handbrake on for 500 yards then reverse with the handbrake on 500 yards then adjust the knurled wheel in the drum-in-hat and redo the #2 self adjust. Only at that point will you get to (3) the best parking brake efficiency % you can hope to with any vehicle of this type.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:58 AM

Thanks fellas,

Leedsman, I like that "Handbrake modified but not inappropriately" comment, quite a compliment in ways I reckon!

My dad had a bit of time this afternoon so he had a look to see what was going on, and he's found the issue, the little twist-pin had popped out and in doing so has been snapped and the spring also.

So actually, that's all I need, but have found local NPA can get me the kit this afternoon for £9 all in which is pretty good going (It's the full kit even though I only need the bits in the image attached), so will pick that up on my way home from work and put it back together tonight.

Attached Thumbnails GV Rear drum brake grinding-chrysler_brakekit.jpg  
Old 07-14-2015, 10:13 AM

I was thinking the other day that the square-section spring which forms part of the automatic clutch action at bottom of handbrake lever might benefit with a spray of brake cleaner. Can't harm and could improve the action. Worth a try?

Leedsman.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:20 PM
Talking

Hi Leedsman, not a bad suggestion, as the one on my last one wasn't very free.

Good news, all fixed and back together. A few photos of the process, as you can probably see, I found the part that had snapped and was rattling around

So I replaced them both and fitted it all back together

And for future (as a note for myself more than anything) the top spring doesn't go in the 'easy' hole, it goes at both sides, so the following photo has the spring in the WRONG place:

Until I fixed that ;-)

All in all, not a bad fix and didn't take long!
QinteQ: did the footbrake/pumping handbrake and it adjused nicely, binding on both sides reasonably (As much as they ever do!) if I get time at the weekend I might play around with the auto adjustment wheels and get it so the handle doesn't travel as far, but to be honest it's holding on my reasonable hill beside the house so that'll do me for now.

Thanks again all.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:53 AM

Last edited by imtattoo80; 07-15-2015 at 03:33 PM.