Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   fuel vaporisation (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/fuel-vaporisation-2389/)

ringfeder3 01-05-2007 09:38 AM

fuel vaporisation

Drove my 2000 Voyager on a 500 km trip yesterday, ambient temperature 44 degrees celcius, road surface 62 degrees celcius. Ran well until I stopped for a break and let it idle for few minutes....it seemed to revert to a kind of 'limp home' mode. It would not exceed 10 km/h. I shut it down and restarted 20 mins later...no further dramas. When the original problem became apparent, the temperature guage read half, no warning lights were displayed and a check by Chrysler revealed no diagnostic error codes. Someone suggested that this may be a fuel vaporisation problem but no-one is really sure....Any suggestions?

CHRYSLER TECH 01-05-2007 11:55 AM

RE: fuel vaporisation

never heard of fuel vaporisation problem b4.What was this orginal problem u spoke of never said what that was. Which temp guage outside or engine temp? And limp mode would have a check engine light along with it doing that. Did the engine run just fine and the tranny not pull or what???

ringfeder3 01-06-2007 07:45 AM

The engine wouldn't rev, seemed fine otherwise but the transmission seemed to be restricted to first (auto). There were no warning lights at all. I checked the trans fluid with no discolouration or burnt smell. I have since done a further 600 km with no problem. The air conditioner was on. On recall, shortly before I stopped, I drove up a steep hill (short) and the vehicle seemed to struggle a bit...

The vehicle is an Australian spec. 3.3 auto.

CHRYSLER TECH 01-06-2007 12:24 PM

there might be a 3 degree code and u dont know it unless u hook up a scantool and see. it would haft to do it again and the light will come on if thata the case

Stretch 01-09-2007 06:33 PM

111DegF ambient is of course very warm. You mentioned you had also just climbed a steep hill which would heat up things even more. If this is the only time it has happened, it would seem logical that it was heat related. Could be some type of partial vapor lock or some electronics getting too hot, it is hard to say. Any chance you are at high altitude or using ethanol blended fuel?

ringfeder3 02-04-2007 09:21 AM

I had experienced no further problems in the 1500 kms that I have travelled since my last post until today. Again, over 40 degrees (c) outside, high road temperature. A/C on full. Travelling along at 100 km/h, revs dropped, engine slowed and eventually stalled. Wouldn't start for about 5 minutes then ran roughly for 30 seconds before idling like normal. Travelled a further 5 kilometres, some problem again.It did this for the next 35 kilometres until I got home. There were NO warning lights illuminated. Temperature guageread half. After a while there was a fairly strong burnt fuel smell. Oil/ trans fluid and coolant levels OK. Not a high altitude location. Normal unleaded (no ethanol) fuel. 3/4 tank. It is night now, much cooler and the car is starting and running fine. Only link I can see is, again, car had idled on a hot section of bitumen roadway shortly before problems occurred. Definitely seems like a fuel problem but the Chrysler mechanics reckon with noscantool codes available, they can't tell.... Help, I need to drive this thing in the heat.....

CHRYSLER TECH 02-04-2007 02:44 PM

have u let any one even look at the van while it was doing this?? if u dont let a tech look at it might haft to leave it with them so thay can dupuclate this issue u are just pissing in the wind. Plus remember this one thing the computers are more then happy to work at high temps.
The under hood temp with the engine is ooo 300 to 400 and the inside of your van sitting with the windows up will get over 130 a dont think a heat issue is your prob. U almost sound like a bad fuel pump not making the pressure or flow that is required.

ringfeder3 02-18-2007 09:46 AM

Yes, local Chrysler dealer diagnosed a faulty fuel pump this week. Could not find a code or replicate the problem but they seemed to fix the problem. Thank you all for your help.