Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Grand Voyager 2004 2.8 CRD "Modine Oil Cooler" (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/grand-voyager-2004-2-8-crd-modine-oil-cooler-17591/)

travelmad 05-21-2012 10:15 AM

Grand Voyager 2004 2.8 CRD "Modine Oil Cooler"

Broke down on the way home Friday. To cut a long story short, it overheated because the coolant was full of oil!! (no water in the oil) My immediate concern was head gasket, but it has only covered 60,000miles. After some investigation and numerous flushes of the coolant I turned my attentions to the oil cooler under the oil filter. Having read post on another site, I bypassed this cooler with some spare hose and ran the engine. Sure enough oil started to drip from the coolant lines on the cooler. I actually removed the culprit to see the internal condition, and it looks fine. But under the pressure of the oil when operating, oil passes through the matrix into the coolant line.
Quick search on the internet and popular auction sites, and found nothing (apart from these oil coolers seem to popular on performance Subaru Imprezas), so it’s a main stealer part.
Unfortunately its £240 and has to be ordered in (unless anyone else knows where to get one?, the one on there is manufactured by Modine). No point in second hand, who knows all long it will last?
So for now I driving with it by-passed, which Chrysler say is ok for a little while……

Sarnall 06-11-2012 02:14 AM

Hi, have you replaced your oil cooler yet.

travelmad 06-11-2012 04:27 AM

I did. Found out that I actually had a cooler off a 2.5 fitted to mine, so I had to make a few adjustments to the coolant pipework to get the 2.8 fit. (since the 2.5 verison for £400)

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

2.8 left, 2.5 right

Sarnall 06-11-2012 07:38 AM

Yes mine is a 2.5 and it sits on the right. The fixing of the oil cooler, is it fixed to the block through the centre of the oil filter thread.

Sarnall 06-11-2012 07:42 AM

Just seen your link through images hack. Thanks.

adamboxing 10-07-2012 03:32 PM

oil coming out of the exspantion tank

after driving (99 voyager 2.5td) then let it cool down I went to check the water to find when removing the cap oil spewing out, is this the oil cooler or head gasket? Im a little confused:eek:

Sarnall 10-08-2012 04:33 AM

If you have lots of oil coming out of the header tank ie really spewing out as I did, it does suggest it is the oil cooler.

adamboxing 10-09-2012 12:07 PM

I've had a look of the oil cooler and it looks a big job, but bare in mind I'm laying down on the floor grrrr if I was going to bypass the cooler will I have to block off the cooler It's self?? Or is it the case of just joing them both? Also do u know a price of a new one?

Sarnall 10-10-2012 04:40 AM

Is the oil cooler behind the oil filter? If it is, its a really easy job. It's just a matter of removing the oil filter, and then taking off the cooler it's self which secured by a single bolt. That's how it was on my 2005 voyager. Regarding the bypassing I just connected the two water pipes together. Then i looped the oil cooler together with a spare piece of pipe and jubilee clipped up. As for the price it cost me a whole £232. Hope this helps.
Steve.

adamboxing 10-10-2012 01:49 PM

Ideal, yeah that's a great help so take the two pipes off and join and the pipes coming off the cooler join them as well???