Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Grand voyager - engine cuts out at high revs (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/grand-voyager-engine-cuts-out-high-revs-30464/)

Suzie 02-27-2019 05:39 AM

Grand voyager - engine cuts out at high revs

Hi, thanks for having me here. My beloved 2.8l grand voyager cuts out when I accelerate hard. Everything switches off and I have to pull over and restart.
It restarts fine. There are no dash lights on.

I took it to a local garage who hooked it up to diagnostics and said it came back with a ‘low fuel pressure’ code. They said they checked under the bonnet for anything obvious but couldn’t see anything. They are too busy to fit me in at the moment and then I got a lecture about how ‘a family like mine’ just needs a zafira and how it may not be worth fixing.

Anyone any experience of this problem? Should I go to a Chrysler dealer? Is there a way to find a garage that won’t treat me like I’m thick? And also won’t overcharge me? I’m near Yarmouth in Norfolk.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Suzie

Scotsman4th 02-27-2019 09:59 AM

I'm like a broken record on this lol.
Both mines suffered the same issue, both times it was the fuel filter. On my 2.5 diesel, removing and refitting the filter bowl cured it, my 2.8 the fuel filter was loose. Has the fuel filter been changed recently?
If the fuel filter hasn't been changed for a while, changing it may resolve the issue as well.
Failing that, the fuel filter housing can crack and allow air in.
Symptoms exactly the same.

goggs 02-27-2019 03:03 PM

Well at least you got a fault code. Injector fuel leakage test required. Might be just the pressure valve on the fuel rail even. MAP would shut it down like it did on mine. Cleaning out the gunk made no difference. But no code like yours.

Hoskinshob 09-06-2021 10:56 AM

Engine Cut out

Originally Posted by Scotsman4th (Post 109626)
I'm like a broken record on this lol.
Both mines suffered the same issue, both times it was the fuel filter. On my 2.5 diesel, removing and refitting the filter bowl cured it, my 2.8 the fuel filter was loose. Has the fuel filter been changed recently?
If the fuel filter hasn't been changed for a while, changing it may resolve the issue as well.
Failing that, the fuel filter housing can crack and allow air in.
Symptoms exactly the same.

Hi
I have a Voyager 2005, 2.8 diesel. I have the same problem. At full throttle, the engine cuts out. The AA computer threw up a fault of "Common Rail or Injector fault" . It runs fine the rest of the time. I would really value your comments.
Thanks
Paul

goggs 09-07-2021 02:38 PM

Pressure

Its all to do with Pressure as this fault code tells you. Not just fuel pressure though but also Boost pressure. Has the fuel filter been changed yet as Scotsmsn4 says or we are blowing into the wind. Fuel rail mentioned and codes, not enough fuel pressure in there. Well thats a biggy check for injector leakoffs, pressure sensor and bypass valve. Boost may be low as well, MAP blockage, cleanit or new one. Then there's turbo actuator, check it works fully.

Scotsman4th 09-08-2021 11:51 AM

When it happened to me the first time, AA checked for codes but there wasn't any.
Fuel filter's a quick and easy thing, but the fact you've got code's, I'd suspect it's more involved.